Talk

Advanced search

inside shutters for windows

(15 Posts)
Mummiehunnie Wed 17-Nov-10 17:00:18

I am thinking of getting them if i stay in this house or for the new house when I can afford. I have had a look at some, and there are really nice hard wood ones and white one's made of mdf which I like the look of. Not sure which i will go for!

Has anyone got them, if so what do you think of them?

OldLadyKnowsNothing Wed 17-Nov-10 17:03:18

I has original wooden shutters in one house; fantastic! The windows were listed and couldn't be changed to double-glazing, so the shutters were a godsend in reducing draughts and noise.

Mummiehunnie Wed 17-Nov-10 17:54:23

how did you find them regarding dust/dirt and light levels?

Alouiseg Wed 17-Nov-10 17:57:58

Ive got modern white shutters in two downstairs rooms, they look fab, afford some privacy and while the dust is bloody annoying it's far better for my asthmatic dh and son than folds of heavy curtain fabric.

I use a dry duster then a damp e cloth to keep the dust at bay.

Very envy at oldladys original shutters.

Mummiehunnie Wed 17-Nov-10 18:02:04

Alouiseg, who did you get the shutters put in with? did they do a good job?

OldLadyKnowsNothing Wed 17-Nov-10 18:03:46

Mine were solid wood and well-fitted, so they blocked out most of the light, and when you opened them up (massive bay window in the living room grin) the room flooded with light.

I miss them.

Mummiehunnie Wed 17-Nov-10 18:07:29

they sound lovely Oldlady...

did they make the room look dark/depressing when they were on the windows?

gloriaaa Wed 17-Nov-10 18:15:15

Got mine from Premier Shutters. They are MDF and a light green colour (very Farrow and Ball!). For a large bay window from top to bottom they cost £600 as opposed to the £2400 quote from Thomas Sanderson.
Absolutely adore them and everyone comments on them and you really cannot tell that they are not wood.
Def do them bottom to top as halfway does not seem very effective.
My husband loves coming home to seeing them slightly open as he says it makes the house look cosy!

OldLadyKnowsNothing Wed 17-Nov-10 18:18:35

In the original dark brown varnish, yes, they made the room a bit gloomy at night. But we painted them bright white, instant facelift. And they folded away into the wall when opened.

nannynick Wed 17-Nov-10 18:32:49

I had shutters fitted this summer - picture - they are white and came from Affordable Shutters who were great from start to finish.
I think they are great for my flat, easy to open in the mornings to let light in, easy to still open the windows and easy to partly close to give more privacy.

As the shutters completely cover the window, I got white rather than brown to help make it seem a bit brighter. They are made from Basswood (whatever that is - tree knowledge not that good).

Mummiehunnie Wed 17-Nov-10 18:32:53

That was my concern oldlady getting hard wood.... urm looks like mdf then...

Gloria, yours sound lovely also, blimey they are not too expensive really, when you think they fit them etc, better than getting someone to drill in a curtain pole and to sit with threads and those plastic curly things to get the hooks to fit on the hoops around the poles... it is all done for you... well that is if I get the new house, I just don't have the physical strength to do a good job of drilling type diy jobs!

Mummiehunnie Wed 17-Nov-10 18:34:02

Nanny thanks for the link, were they a reasonable price if you don't mind me asking?

nannynick Wed 17-Nov-10 18:45:04

Depends what you call reasonable. I feel they were value for money - a sturdy product with good customer service. They are not cheap, can't compare them to a roller blind. I spent £500 - for the window pictured plus another window 1/3 the size. I got a quote from their website, they then sent a guy round to measure up and produce a full quote... which turned out to be a little less than the quote I got online, thus I was happy.

Alouiseg Wed 17-Nov-10 18:55:01

We used Shaftsbury Shutters. I can't remember how much they were because it was about 7 years ago but I'm currently replacing curtains in other rooms but don't have to in the shuttered rooms.

NorbertDentressangle Wed 17-Nov-10 19:11:36

I love sleeping in rooms with shutters as its so quiet and dark that I sleep really well.

We haven't got them but I would consider them in the right house.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: