Talk

Advanced search

Tips for cleaning bathroom

(9 Posts)
inthesticks Tue 16-Nov-10 19:26:17

I have a brand sparkly new bathroom.
The builders have gone and it's all mine now.
I hate ,hate, hate cleaning bathrooms so can I please have your tips on how to keep it as pristine as it is now?

I plan to show the DCs how to clean it and perhaps have a rota. DS2 is usually willing to do bathroom cleaning but is not exactly thorough.

JaniceSoprano Tue 16-Nov-10 19:27:44

limelite for screen and shiny bits

keep stuff IN there so you can whizz around

fill bath a little with water and cleaner
swoosh around

glass spray for glass and tiles if on window sill

but the key thing for me is limelite

marriednotdead Tue 16-Nov-10 19:54:00

If you're in a hard water area, polish the taps dry after each use (the end of your towel will do).

linspins Wed 17-Nov-10 13:29:58

Hello inthesticks, my bathroom was finished on Friday, although flooring is going in tomorrow. I've just bought one of those e-cloths, after being alerted to them on a similar thread to this. They are magic (well almost grin )! My plan, although I don't know if I'll really do it EVERY day, is to wipe the e cloth over the tiles, taps and shower screen after showering in the morning. Then wipe the sink and mirror in the evening when the kids are in the bath. The e-cloth pack (especially for showers) came with an amazing 'polishing' cloth, that seems to remove all water marks etc, Never thought I'd get so excited about a cloth...sad!!
Our taps and bath came with specific instructions not to use various cleaners on them, only water, or a little liquid soap or vinegar. I used to be a lover of Limelite, mentioned above, but won't be using it on my new steel bath.
I've also bought some white vinegar, for the limescale, should it build up. (also a tip picked up here..)
I'm loving my shiny bathroom - glad you like yours too!!

halfapoundoftreacle Wed 17-Nov-10 13:45:50

I use a squeegey thingy, like a window cleaner does, on the shower screen every time I use it and it helps keep it free of water marks on a daily basis.

I also use washing up liquid to wash my bath and tiles then rinse. And when I'm feeling really virtuous I dry everything with a towel too.

But if you hate cleaning that doesn't sound like something you'd enjoy.

A quick wipe & dry every day is probably the easiest solution. My eighteen month old bathroom does look less glam than now than the day it arrived. But still inifitely better than the one that was removed!

inthesticks Wed 17-Nov-10 17:11:04

Thank you ladies.
I must try harder. The prospect of doing it every day is a bit daunting but if it is to stay as beautiful as it is now ......
I have two teenage boys who spend hours in there and slosh around just as much as when they were babies. When I am at work I leave the house before they are done in there so will have to train them.
We have very hard water so limelite sounds the thing. Never heard of e cloths but I'm not normally into cleaning, they sound good. I tend to use one type of cleaner for everything and a pile of cut up t shirts for cloths.

linspins Wed 17-Nov-10 20:22:25

Just watch out that limelite is suitable for your bath etc, as it is very strong stuff and can damage the surface. I know what you mean about hard water, I can almost stand a tea spoon up in my cuppa!
Maybe a squeegee thing might appeal to your boys, it's a more manly tool than an e-cloth. I'm not normally in to cleaning either, but have got a bit stepford wives about the bathroom now it's finished. grin

barbarapym Wed 17-Nov-10 20:42:08

If you get into the habit of rubbing the shower screen and taps down quickly with your towel after you've dried off it works wonders on preventing limescale building up. It's a house rule now - dcs know they have to do it too; the penny didn't drop until 5 years ago when our brand new shower cubicle quickly started to develop an unwanted frosted effect!

CeliaFate Thu 18-Nov-10 10:03:14

Flash wipes are your friend!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: