Talk

Advanced search

Help! Freezing toddler's room

(20 Posts)
soniaweir Tue 16-Nov-10 08:35:26

My DS's room is absolutely freezing. Last night the temp according to the egg was 14 degrees. He had a very restless night last night.

The room has two outside wall which explains why it's so cold as the rest of the house is absolutely fine.

any ideas how to make his room warmer?

He currently has a blind and thin ikea curtains and we have the heating on for a few hours in the evening with it coming back on from 6 in the morning, i feel that is suffiencent.

How are fan heaters these days? are they really expensive?

Thanks all!

BudaisintheZONE Tue 16-Nov-10 08:37:50

Warmer curtains should help a little.

Can the heating come on in the night for an hour or so?

We bought one of those oil filled plug in radiators when DS was a baby and we were living in Bulgaria. You can set them to come on when temp drops below a certain number.

marriednotdead Tue 16-Nov-10 09:08:26

I'd second the oil filled rad. DD has one in her room as she has a 'half' room where we divided it- she's got the bay window but not the main radiator.

Can you put an extra layer on your DS, cardi, gro bag, all in one (don't know how old he is)?

Guacamohohohole Tue 16-Nov-10 09:12:03

Definitely go for an oil filled radiator (ours is De Longhi), it has a thermostat and will kick in the moment the temperature falls below your desired level. I seem to remember it was about £50.

Theantsgomarching Tue 16-Nov-10 09:12:04

Those fleecy all in one pajamas are great. My dd kicks off the duvet a lot and these save me her waking up during the cold nights. But I also put on CH for an hour on nights there are giving very low temps

swanriver Tue 16-Nov-10 09:14:00

I don't think it matters how cold the room is, as long as he has sufficient appropriate bedding. Plastic sheet under sheet often makes bed feel very cold clammy, try another layer under him (even woolly blanket under sheet) natural fibre duvet, woollen blankets on top that sort of thing. Sleeping bags (cotton type) can make sleep much cosier - again try layering.
My daughter sleeps in a freezing room, and she is fine as long as she can make a cuddly nest.
In my childhood we always slept in freezing bedrooms grin

Isaidno Tue 16-Nov-10 09:22:30

"In my childhood we always slept in freezing bedrooms"

I think that's so true, we had no double glazing or central heating and we were fine smile

Fleecy sleepsuits over pjs are good.

crockydoodle Tue 16-Nov-10 09:34:26

hot water bottle to warm the bed before he gets in

onadietcokebreak Tue 16-Nov-10 09:36:24

Thicker curtains.

Can you rearrange furniture to help insulate outside Walls.

Bramshott Tue 16-Nov-10 09:38:35

Good ideas here, but 14 is really not that cold you know. DD1 (7) has the coldest room in our (fairly cold) house and I know it gets down below 10 some nights. She goes to sleep in warm pajamas and socks with a warm duvet and extra blankets, and really doesn't notice as long as the heating is on by the time she has to get up.

savoycabbage Tue 16-Nov-10 09:43:26

We have an oil filled raidiator and they are good.

I live in Melbourne and it is often 11 degrees inside. A lot of children sleep in track suits or those fleece suits and/or have two duvets.

Until summer of course where we can't sleep for the heat.

onadietcokebreak Tue 16-Nov-10 10:22:40

I know the coldest in air sometimes stops me getting to sleep.

Close curtains asap to start keeping heat in.

MimieD Tue 16-Nov-10 10:49:26

Agree with fleecy pj's, hot water bottle (they stay warm all night), warm layer on top of the mattress (underneath sheet), bed socks if needed. That's how my brother and I slept at our grandparents when we were young. No heating in any of the bedrooms but as long as we were under the covers, we were comfy and warm.

mousymouse Tue 16-Nov-10 10:55:27

tights, socks and ski-jumper in addition to pj's. warm duvet. agree with something under the sheet, maybe a large beach towel?
ds has a little soft toy with a rice filled belly that can be heated in the microwave.

Nefret Tue 16-Nov-10 10:59:20

Wrap him up warm in an all in one fleecy suit and give him an extra blanket and a hot water bottle.

My room was freezing as a child, we had no centtral heating then and I remember frost on the inside of the windows! But I never felt cold in my bed.

soniaweir Tue 16-Nov-10 12:04:40

wow - thanks for all your replies. He is wrapped up warm and i know that a cold bedroom should not bother him but it bothers me. I grew up in a freezing house in the highlands of scotland and i hated it. I just him to feel cosy and warm in his room.

Off to by an oil heater now....thanks!

MrsNoggin Wed 17-Nov-10 21:58:43

I would also recommend (I have recently discovered) the miraculous hot water bottle!

No, seriously! grin

After struggling with the idea of having the heating on at night for 2yo DD, I finally just shoved a hot water bottle in with her. Magic! I sneak it out and refill it when I go to bed and it lasts pretty much til morning.

onadietcokebreak Sat 20-Nov-10 08:17:56

Also fleecy mattress covers and flannette sheets

ProfYaffle Sat 20-Nov-10 08:28:41

Oil filled radiator. Works really well for us.

fromheretomaternity Sat 20-Nov-10 08:39:43

Another vote for oil filled radiator with thermostat. Ours is de longhi from Argos, about 70 quid.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now