Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mouldy Barbour Jacket

(5 Posts)
nellymoo Tue 09-Nov-10 09:50:52

Help! It's my walking-the-dog-on-the-beach-coat, and it's rank!

There is furry mould on the outside, which I've tried to sponge off, but it's on the lining too, and smells horrible. I know you're not supposed to put them in the washing machine, but would a cool wash really ruin it? Can I hand wash it, and then re-wax it, or would that kill it too?

I can't afford to buy a new one, and it's the best coat for keeping the wind and rain out in this filthy weather.

bacon Tue 09-Nov-10 21:04:06

I would try drying it out totally I would assume its got too wet and soaked through. When bone dry brush out hard and then rewax with tin and hair dryer.

No, never wash!

Ive had tads of mould but mine hasnt been rewaxed in years and now the fabric has cracked and really its ready for the bin!

nellymoo Wed 10-Nov-10 22:54:15

Thanks Bacon. I've pretty much got rid of the mould on the outside, but it does need rewaxing.

It still smells truely awful though, the lining is pretty grotty. How on earth do I get the inside clean without washing it?!

LoveInAColdClimate Thu 11-Nov-10 11:38:06

You can send them back to Barbour for maintenance - maybe try that?

Shaz53 Sun 22-Oct-17 11:08:56

My Barbour jacket was very smelly and moldy. I soaked it in water with a touch of Zoflora disinfectant in the water. It took two days to dry out completely on the washing line, turning out the pockets and sleeves etc. I then bought Barbour wax thornproof dressing from the Internet. The tin is out into boiling water to melt. Use a sponge to rub into your jacket and dry with a hair drier. This melts the wax into the jacket and dries it. I then put it on a coat hanger on the washing line, luckily a very blowy day, to make sure it was dry. It now looks, feels and smells like a new jacket. Good luck.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now