Talk

Advanced search

Does anyone have blinds going up from the bottom of their windows?

(13 Posts)
Ladydutchalot Sun 07-Nov-10 08:55:46

Our living room windows look out into the road, as do our bedroom ones. I haven't worked out what to do with them yet, and don't like the feeling that people are looking in, but hate nets. I love frosting, but our windows are leaded, so I don't think it will look too good.
I have seen people using roller blinds going up from the window sill, but if it isn't done right it looks terrible. I want to be able to look out on the garden too, as we have a really nice front garden.

Help!

purplepeony Sun 07-Nov-10 11:53:30

I don't understand- do you mean a half roller blind that starts for example half way down a sash window, or one that somehow is fixed to the window sill and pulls upwards? never seen those. If the latter, how would it help- surely everyone could still see in over it?

I think I would just get used to people looking nad glare back at them.

Ladydutchalot Sun 07-Nov-10 15:40:58

As in going up from the window sill. I know I should get used to it, but the house looks so unlived in from the outside, and it makes me sad! grin

MadameCastafiore Sun 07-Nov-10 15:43:59

here you go - not cheap - I ended up with Nets (our house is very very old DH said blinds would look odd and we have windows with lots of pains so thought maybe frosting would cost a fortune!) My nets are sheer with lots of little polka dots though (had to have professionally done and cost a fortune!) so aren't as bad as the grotty floral ones!

Pannacotta Sun 07-Nov-10 15:47:36

I think the bottom up look odd, they have chuncky boxes which sit on the window sill.
www.eclectics.co.uk/index.php?cPath=149_200

Why not put up sheer cotton voile panels/sheer cafe curtain on the lower section of the windows, hung flat rather than gathered, these look more modern than nets but give good privacy.
Another option is cafe (half height) shutters but they are £££.

Mooos Mon 08-Nov-10 00:59:02

Why don't you get nice wooden or venetian blinds...they give lots of privacy when you want and can look quite nice. If you have loads of dosh buy the plantation wooden ones.

Mooos Mon 08-Nov-10 01:03:27

PS IKEA do cheap wooden blinds.

I do like Pannacotta's suggestion too: sheet voile panels are beautiful. HUNG - NOT GATHERED!

mousymouse Mon 08-Nov-10 09:08:10

my parents have these plissee bottom up blinds in the bathroom (first floor facing the road) and they are brilliant. you get a lot of light in from the top whilst keeping your dignity grin
they only have a narrow wire left and right and are very easy to use.
no idea about the price, but looks expensive.

reallywoundup Mon 08-Nov-10 09:18:49

ikea enje blinds- they are sheer roller blinds (ok so they go from the top, but they are lovely!) gives you all the privacy you need but don't block out any light!

Ladydutchalot Wed 10-Nov-10 13:35:59

Thank you all. I haven't checked back for ages!!!!!! Dp is very hmm about anything but nets (weirdo man!!!), so I'm going to live with the windows for a bit and then choose between voile panels and sheer rollers I think. Venetians are just too much of a pig to clean!!! grin

biglips Wed 10-Nov-10 18:15:02

i hate nets but love Voile. Mine is gathered but very minimal.

newshoes121 Fri 02-Nov-12 15:48:33

Have you considered 50:50 blinds? It's another spin on the bottom up blind but as a roller blind at the top of the window instead. The top half is mesh with the bottom half solid so you can see out whilst still getting privacy.

anniewoo Fri 02-Nov-12 22:37:34

I do. En suite in front. Luxaflex- bloody brilliant. I don't know why they are not used more.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now