Talk

Advanced search

how often do you change your kitchen sponge?

(29 Posts)
camflower Thu 04-Nov-10 20:05:30

i usually have one on the go for bits of hand washing-up, wiping etc and it occurred to me that perhaps i should change it a bit more frequently than i do (not saying how often that is because i don't really keep count blush.
just a quick straw poll ...

countydurhamlass Thu 04-Nov-10 20:12:02

when the green bit is scruffy looking, but i do rinse it out in very hot water after i have used it ....mmm maybe i should change mine a bit more

RiojaLover75 Thu 04-Nov-10 20:12:45

Once a week it goes in the dishwasher and then after another week I bin mine. So all in two weeks MAX.

lal123 Thu 04-Nov-10 20:14:58

don't use a sponge - full of germs! I use the disposable blue cloth things and change it every few days

southeastastra Thu 04-Nov-10 20:17:48

every couple of weeks and it's not full of germs as rinsed in hot water all the time

coatgate Thu 04-Nov-10 20:18:00

Oooh was thinking today about posting something similar about smelly dishcloths. I have a green scoury thing that I use for pans, but a dishcloth that I use for wiping down surfaces. I boil mine every few days (in an old pan on the Aga with soap flakes) but is there a good way to stop them getting so smelly?

Toughasoldboots Thu 04-Nov-10 20:19:53

I have a dishcloth that gets changed every day and boilwashed.

Schroeder Thu 04-Nov-10 20:39:46

When it looks manky or smells. I feel a bit inadequate now; I haven't got a system for little green spongesblush

Julesnobrain Fri 05-Nov-10 01:50:50

Microwave it damp for a couple of minutes. (4) That kills any bacteria.

MadamDeathstare Fri 05-Nov-10 04:06:32

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

YunoYurbubson Fri 05-Nov-10 04:31:45

Once or twice a day, but I wash rather than chuck.

greentig3r Fri 05-Nov-10 16:31:01

I like germs, so no boiling or microwaving here. We have a green dishwashing sponge which we rinse every use and chuck when the rough side is tatty (a month?). We wipe surfaces with cloths which are washed in 40 wash with everything else. We use tea tree and soda mixed in spray bottle to clean everything. Never had food poisoning yet, but then no meat in house probably helps avoid a lot of that.

DramaInPyjamas Fri 05-Nov-10 16:36:06

I change it when it begins to fall apart. Could be after a few days, could be every month.

LadyOfTheFlowers Fri 05-Nov-10 16:36:26

Don't do sponges.

Dishcloths that either get left overnight in the bowl in a weak bleach solution, or get chucked in the washing machine.

For scrubbing have a dishbrush thing - same as.

Faaamily Fri 05-Nov-10 16:36:46

A week or so, no more.

LadyBlaBlah Fri 05-Nov-10 16:48:17

Seems I am pretty foul

GetOrfMoiLand Fri 05-Nov-10 16:50:38

I don't used sponges - I use J cloths for general wiping these get binned afyer a day or so, or demoted to bin/door cleaning duty.

I use one of those sponge scourers on a stick to wash the dishes, this gets changed once a week. Mind you iw ash dishes in lava hot running water anyway so don't imagine germs live long.

overmydeadbody Fri 05-Nov-10 16:58:33

Sponges are not full of germs if they are cleaned daily and changed regularly.

I soak mine in boiling water and disinfectant every evening and then put through the wash once a week. Once the green bit goes it is binned.

It's like with teatowels and hand towels and j cloths, as long as they are kept clean and changed regularly they will be fine.

overmydeadbody Fri 05-Nov-10 16:59:47

greentigr tell me more about this tea tree and soda mix you use?

greentig3r Fri 05-Nov-10 17:17:42

water, soda crystals and tea tree. I'm sure it started with a recipe but now involves throwing in just enough soda to remove grease, and enough tea tree to make it smell like it will kill germs (20 in 500ml bottle?) We add other oils in addition for a different smell. I'm sure its mostly psychological and hot soapy water would do the same job.

dikkertjedap Fri 05-Nov-10 17:35:02

I use two dishbrushes (one for potentially 'contaminated' things, like raw eggs, meat, etc.) other one for other things. Both go in the dishwasher (sterilisation cycle) every day. Also use one or two, sometimes more, dishclothes a day and go in washing machine at end of day with towels, tea towels, etc., 60 degrees but with oxy vanish added to powder. Still always worry about germs though ... I once had terrible food poisoning, never found out what it was from but it was absolutely awful, will never forget it.

camflower Sat 06-Nov-10 15:50:49

wow i'm impressed with all this boilwashing and dishwashing and homemade mixes. i used to bleach j cloths but no matter how careful i was i would splash it on my nice iroko worktop

MrsDinky Mon 08-Nov-10 22:51:52

I buy the very cheap ones from the pound shop, they last a week or two at max. Also microwave them, but tend to forget to take them out, so DH assumes I've thrown them away and gets a new one out so we sometimes end up with several on the go at once.

DandyDan Tue 09-Nov-10 10:11:34

Pan-scrubbers go out when the green bit (pale or dark for non-stick and regular) goes rubbish.

Dishcloths/j-cloths get thrown in the wash every week or bleached in hot water. Chucked out after 2-3 weeks.

BollocksToThis Tue 09-Nov-10 10:29:43

Ooh I didn't know you could microwave them without disaster ensuing. I'll try that. Mind you, the microwave hosts its own little microbial forest I imagine. Ugh.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now