Talk

Advanced search

Pulley clothes airers - any recommendations?

(21 Posts)
Habbibu Thu 30-Sep-10 22:08:49

I'm going to post and run to bed, but would be grateful for any recommendations of where to buy a decent sturdy ceiling clothes airer. I've seen Sheila Maids mentioned, but this and this seem the same but cheaper.

I'd rather buy something decent from a reliable company, so would appreciate any recommendations.

Habbibu Fri 01-Oct-10 09:38:53

daytime bump

Matsikula Fri 01-Oct-10 09:47:51

I don't know about the different makes, but I have one in my kitchen and it is great.

They are such simple items that I can't imagine that the quality will really differ between different companies, assuming that the rack bits are all cast iron, and the ropes are all waxed.

I think the Sheila Maid ones are probably just more expensive because they do a bigger range of colours and sizes, and because they sell all sorts of other stuff (heritage twine?).

TheButterflyEffect Fri 01-Oct-10 09:51:06

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Habbibu Fri 01-Oct-10 09:55:13

Not sure how we'd get it home from IKEA, TBE. And suspect that the bargainous aspect of buying from Ikea would be negated by all the other things I sudddenly find I need...

Good points, Mats - will have to check that ropes are waxed!

muddlinleigh Fri 01-Oct-10 10:08:18

I got one from cast in style which is fab.

Habbibu Fri 01-Oct-10 10:21:37

Oh, good - they have a sale on so I was hoping to hear something good about them.

Aitch Fri 01-Oct-10 11:55:23

i have the clothesmaid six, it's really great. the only complaint i would have is that the rope it comes with is fancy shmantzy natural and would look nice in a country kitchen type of place but was never going to work in our house. ykwim? so get the rope changed if that's a consideration, cos you can have my revolting brown one if you change your mind.

Habbibu Fri 01-Oct-10 12:40:35

Shit. Just got a 4. Long, though, so should be big enough. Rope is white, I think - got it from castinstyle. Where is it in your house, Aitch?

Tippychoocks Fri 01-Oct-10 12:42:23

Am lurking here as I need to buy one. Can I fix it alone? And do I need to know where beams etc are in my house? Cos I don't grin

Was your cheaper than Sheilamaid then Habbibu?

Habbibu Fri 01-Oct-10 12:48:19

Yes, it was. FIL is going to put it up, and I'm guessing he can find joists...

Tippychoocks Fri 01-Oct-10 12:50:46

Send him along then would you?

Aitch Fri 01-Oct-10 12:56:36

it hides up in the rafters in the hallway, you can't see it... [cunning] it's only a small space, though, a metre and a half or so, hence the six. it takes a full load, which is all you need, so four will be fine if you have more length.

Habbibu Fri 01-Oct-10 13:11:24

Aha. Have gone for 2.1m. Tippy, given that he's travelling about 200miles to get to us...

Tippychoocks Fri 01-Oct-10 16:51:39

Then he might be starting from near me! Do send him down.

Mine will be going in the hallway too. As soon as Habb's FIL comes along <tuts and looks at watch>

Habbibu Fri 01-Oct-10 22:55:37

Tippy, he could hardly be starting from further away from you. Sorry. Really. I am.

emilyfox Sun 03-Oct-10 12:47:24

I have had a Ceiling Pulley Airer since I had my first child now 4yrs I now have a 1yr old as well so in wet weather and the cost of electric and gas they are great. I have set up my own bussiness selling them take a look www.townandcountryliving.co.uk

badgermonkey Sun 03-Oct-10 12:48:11

I have the Lakeland one - sturdy and fairly reasonably priced.

urbanman13 Sun 12-May-13 21:47:11

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Mandy2003 Mon 13-May-13 20:02:31

No idea why it happened, it didn't get bashed or abused in any way, but one of the cast iron ends on my Sheila Maid snapped clean in half.

NorbertDentressangle Mon 13-May-13 20:12:19

urbanman13 - you wouldn't happen to work for them would you?

Otherwise it seems a bit odd for your first ever MN post to be on a thread thats 3 years old hmm

FWIW - if anyone is looking for a ceiling airer I would recommend the seller countryironworks on ebay - great service. Even sent me replacement pulley wheels for free when we relocated the airer.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now