Talk

Advanced search

what are these black dots?

(36 Posts)
booyhoo Tue 21-Sep-10 18:05:19

over the last 3 weeks i have found 5 clusters of black dots. they look exactly like someone has taken a black pen and just done a cluster of between 20-30 dots. so far i have found a cluster, on ds1's pillow, on ds'1s bedroom floor (lino), on the hall floor (laminate), on the leather sofa and today on the cofee table. i know it wasn't ds as he wasn't here today to do them on the coffe table. it isn't ink, they washed off the pillow, sofa and both floors and i have been able to scratch them off the coffe table. what the hell are they?

scurryfunge Tue 21-Sep-10 18:09:15

mould?

Bicnod Tue 21-Sep-10 18:10:36

Ooooo - we had this at a holiday home and I think, I think it's something to do with flies. Have you had a lot of flies in the house recently?

booyhoo Tue 21-Sep-10 18:12:05

not mould. i polished coffee table this morning, no dots, but they were there this afternoon

llareggub Tue 21-Sep-10 18:12:23

I've found these and wondered what they are. <watches thread>

booyhoo Tue 21-Sep-10 18:12:43

OMG loads of flies. billions of the feckers. i have been burning citronella all day. had to stop as i was choking.

booyhoo Tue 21-Sep-10 18:13:21

are they fly poo or eggs? eugh!! <shudders>

MrFibble Tue 21-Sep-10 18:16:16

It's fly dirt.... yuck stuff and not easy to get rid of.

booyhoo Tue 21-Sep-10 18:17:47

boak!!!

SuperLapin Tue 21-Sep-10 18:19:27

fly poo!

booyhoo Tue 21-Sep-10 18:22:51

right, on that note. apart from fly screens. what keeps the filthy gits out?

Bicnod Tue 21-Sep-10 19:54:11

get some fly spray and fumigate your house, that's the only thing that worked at the holiday cottage.

bleurgh. poor you.

booyhoo Tue 21-Sep-10 19:59:06

oh god, i hate fly spray, it chokes more than the citronella.

popeonarope Tue 21-Sep-10 20:02:14

Get the council in to spray for you - go out for the day (you have to anyway with the stuff they use) and the smell will be gone when you get back.

popeonarope Tue 21-Sep-10 20:02:32

Incidentally it's a cluster fly outbreak and yes it is fly poo. Sorry.

booyhoo Tue 21-Sep-10 20:03:57

is the stuff they spray safe for kids and pets and how long does it last?

Tippychoocks Tue 21-Sep-10 20:06:02

fly poo. and it will mark fabric like white sofas so be careful sad
Have a mn whip round for spiders grin. If you have lots then I think you may have to spray. Do you know why you have so many?

popeonarope Tue 21-Sep-10 20:08:02

Four hours you have to vacate afterwards, then open the windows for one hour. We chose to stay at a hotel (frankly we had a bloody good day out and let the neighbours air the place). Lasts for a good few months.

booyhoo Tue 21-Sep-10 20:09:35

i don't know. i am really carefull with food. nothing gets left out. we wash up straight after dinner. we have a dog but he eats all his food straight away and his water is changed several times a day. i am guilty of leaving all my windows open all day. could that be it?

popeonarope Tue 21-Sep-10 20:11:14

You probably have something dead somewhere - mice in the loft? Do you have a cellar? It tends to be dripping which draws them in - have you identified the room they are mostly in?

booyhoo Tue 21-Sep-10 20:16:45

well last night there were 8 flies on the living room ceiling which is directly below the dses room and the playroom. considering i found all the dots either in the living room or dses room, except for the hall outside the LR then i reckon i have a problem in one of those 3 rooms. i really fucking hope there is nothing dead in my house. boak.

BertieBotts Tue 21-Sep-10 20:17:30

My mum had the same problem just before I left home. I can't stand having flies in the house now. If I see one I'll chase it out or kill it with a newspaper as soon as I notice it - that seems to keep them under control.

Bins? Are you taking the bin bags out regularly enough? Is your outside bin too close to your open window?

Maybe house plants? Another thing my mum has which I don't. I do sometimes leave food out and half done washing up etc (and cat food) and they don't seem to be attracted to that. But I don't literally have the windows open constantly. I have a bit of an irrational phobia of wasps so tend to only have windows open in the room that I am in.

There was a fly trap which they made on Kim & Aggie once, I'll see if I can find where I wrote it down.

Tippychoocks Tue 21-Sep-10 20:18:23

My mum gets them and I am convinced it is because she has a huge fruit bowl. She buys all sorts and mostly watches it rot, attracting the little buggers. Or possibly hatching them. Yuckness.

I don't have them and I have a dog and other animals and windows open letting in cow poo smells grin.
shock at the dead dripping pope, sounds like CSI.

popeonarope Tue 21-Sep-10 20:19:07

Right above DSes room what is there? A loft? A chimney?

That is the source of the problem unless your children have been keeping a dead animal in their room (not beyond the realms of possibility - kids do get attached to odd things).

Otherwise I would send someone up to the loft to have a looksee. Or just hold a can of flyspray through the hatch, let them have it, and then go out for a few hours till the dust has fallen.

BertieBotts Tue 21-Sep-10 20:19:26

Ah I see x-post. Yes we wondered at my mum's house if there was a rogue decomposing mouse hidden away somewhere which the cat had brought in and terrified away into a little hole to die. Never smelt anything though so who knows?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now