Talk

Advanced search

Where does your cheese grater live?

(63 Posts)
YunoYurbubson Fri 27-Aug-10 17:37:41

Mine gets shoved from pillar to post, with all my other NIMBY kitchen equipment complaining that it is not "one of them" and doesn't belong in their cupboard.

Sometimes it spends days standing sadly on the draining board, all alone.

Where does yours live? I would like to find mine a good home.

QueenOfFlamingEverything Fri 27-Aug-10 17:39:07

On the cup shelf.

This annoys me, but it always ends up there somehow and now we are used to it and if I put it anywhere else DP can't find it.

TriplePachyderm Fri 27-Aug-10 17:39:08

next to the saucepans, plates and everything else but cutlery and glasses that live in the only other cupboard we have

but i dont think that is going to help

sorry

ThatDamnDog Fri 27-Aug-10 17:40:23

One in the drawer and one in the cupboard. Neither of them sit easy with me.

I may have to bin them and start buying ready-grated stuff shockgrin

NomDePlume Fri 27-Aug-10 17:40:49

In the drawer with the potato peeler etc

ReneRusso Fri 27-Aug-10 17:44:25

In with the saucepans, sad, lonely and probably being bullied by the big frying pan.

sorrento56 Fri 27-Aug-10 17:45:11

I have 3 and they live in the pan drawer. They get along just fine.

nannynobnobs Fri 27-Aug-10 17:48:49

Mine is standing at the back of the sideboard between the cafetiere and the mezzaluna, two other homeless orphans.

mousymouse Fri 27-Aug-10 17:54:11

in the drawer with the random stainless steel kitchen stuff eg. egg cups, egg cutter, lemon juicer, butter dishes

LadySanders Fri 27-Aug-10 17:55:31

ooh i was JUST discussing this with dh the other night as he couldn't find ours. i'd got sick of shoving it in the potato peeler/ladle/spatula drawer for which it is SLIGHTLY too large and therefore the drawer keeps jamming.

i moved it to the ceramic dish cupboard.

only prob is i keep forgetting that's where it is.

LadySanders Fri 27-Aug-10 17:56:31

sorrento, i am envious of your pan drawers. i dream of pan drawers. we just have cupboards which are generally rubbish for kitchen stuff.

sorrento56 Fri 27-Aug-10 17:59:13

I have 4 pan drawers, LadySanders, and they are great. They were recommended by the kitchen designer and I am pleased he did.

Meow75 Fri 27-Aug-10 18:00:22

With the colanders - fortunately, one of them is stainless so it doesn't feel too out of place. In fact, I bet it's the plastic colander who feels like the black sheep of the family.

We used to have a rotary grater, which I loved, but DH broke it by being too heavy handed. That used to live in the cooking utensils drawer - wooden spoons, spatulas and the like. I liked it there, but we have SO MANY utensils that it was really too big for the drawer.

*Wonders if DH broke the grater on purpose because he HATED that it didn't really fit in the drawer where I liked it to be kept

LadySanders Fri 27-Aug-10 18:00:41

we are house hunting at the moment, and last weekend found myself actually stroking someone's kitchen. was a bit embarrassing.

Hullygully Fri 27-Aug-10 18:00:42

Mine lives in Birmingham

loopyloops Fri 27-Aug-10 18:01:27

In the cupboard with Mr Jug, Mrs Whisk and the mixing bowl family.

Very happy he is too.

ethelina Fri 27-Aug-10 18:01:57

I havent got one.

Hullygully Fri 27-Aug-10 18:02:14

He told me Mr Jug gets on his nerves

YunoYurbubson Fri 27-Aug-10 18:31:19

Poor cheese graters. They are the misfits of the kitchen community.

Perhaps I'll try it with the colanders.

I could get it a friend? That worked when my rabbit was lonely and getting bullied by the guinea pigs.

Nannynobnobs I am impressed by your mezzaluna now I have googled it.

Tippychoocks Fri 27-Aug-10 18:34:12

It's because of the caste system of kitchen utensils. Graters are the travelling nomads, always moved on and never welcomed sad

But the evil feckers grate my knuckles so they deserve it.

YunoYurbubson Fri 27-Aug-10 18:34:25

ethelina - wtf? How do you live without a cheese grater?

This thread has reminded me of a MNer whose daughter thought that 'chee' was the singular of grated cheese. grin

MaryMotherOfCheeses Fri 27-Aug-10 18:36:07

Hully, I was thinking along those lines too <snigger> grin

ethelina Fri 27-Aug-10 18:45:11

I don't grate chess

ethelina Fri 27-Aug-10 18:47:38

Or cheese, even! FFS why would I grate chess? confused

Alibabaandthe40nappies Fri 27-Aug-10 18:50:30

The parmesan grater lives in the cutlery drawer, and the big grater lives in the pan cupboard.

DH never ever puts it away which winds me up hugely. He leaves it on the draining board and then when I ask nicely have a go about why it's there he says he doesn't know where it goes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now