Talk

Advanced search

Deep scratch on laminate flooring- any ideas?

(16 Posts)
cloudwine Wed 18-Aug-10 11:23:26

After moving the sofa, I found it had a stone stuck to the leg which has made a deep scratch about 40cm long. It's a brand new oak coloured floor angry Is there anything I can use to make it less obvious? I've already tried wood wax.

Thanks in advance.

Flighttattendant Wed 18-Aug-10 11:26:10

I think you might need to fill it before you wax it iyswim...can you try with wood filler? At least then it would be on a level with the rest of the floor.

SwansEatQuince Wed 18-Aug-10 11:26:39

Try filling in the worst with a wax crayon which is nearest in colour. You may have to try yellow and vaious browns but they fill in the groove.

Gently go over it with a hairdryer or iron on low setting (with a paper bag over the scratched area). You may have to do it a couple of times. Finish with some floor wax.

cloudwine Wed 18-Aug-10 14:47:16

Thank you flight and swans.

I have just tried colouring it with wax crayons and a hair dryer but not sure if I've done it right as it still looks the same. It's not quite as deep as I thought but because the top layer is oak-coloured and the laminate board underneath is white it's still VERY obvious.

Any other ideas gratefully received confused

AlicesWonderland Wed 18-Aug-10 14:59:30

could you claim on your house insurance?

I feel your pain I did this a couple of months ago the same thing, ended up buying a rug and you can't really see it now but I KNOW it's there grin

ShinyAndNew Wed 18-Aug-10 15:02:50

Move the sofa over the top? grin

Was it that lock and click or what ever it's called laminate? You can remove that without damaging it and swap the scratched pieces for new ones, but it takes forever and is a pain the arse, I'd just move the sofa if I was you.

AlicesWonderland Wed 18-Aug-10 15:09:04

apparently if you rub a brazil nut over real wood flooring scratches it hides the scratch...probably won't work on laminate but worth a try?

cloudwine Wed 18-Aug-10 16:05:49

Thanks Alice and Shiny

I probably am covered on the house insurance but really don't want to go to the hassle of ripping the floor up. Tha scratch goes accross several planks so it would be a big job as it's the click stuff but has been glued too. Will add brazil nuts to the shopping list and give it a go smile

Flighttattendant Wed 18-Aug-10 16:32:18

You can get oak-coloured wood filler. A bit of that might do the trick.

Flighttattendant Wed 18-Aug-10 16:33:21

this sort of thing

Try b&Q.

cloudwine Wed 18-Aug-10 19:20:46

Thank you Flight. Will have a look in B and Q when I get a chance and will report back.

tefal Wed 18-Aug-10 21:13:08

If you have a bit of flooring that won't be seen or you have a spare peice of the flooring left over then gently sand it and gather together the dust. Mix it with a little glue and use an orange stick to push it into the scratch. Leave to dry and sand very, very lightly.

nannymaureen Thu 20-Apr-17 16:51:57

Use an eyebrow pencil of similar colour to colour-in the scratch and then buff it with a cloth to blend in - its amazing how the scratch just disappears. Im sure eye shadow would probably work too.

nannymaureen Thu 20-Apr-17 16:55:59

Use an eyebrow pencil of similar colour to the flooring to colour-in the scratch, then buff it in with a cloth. Probably eye shadow would work too. The scratch just disappears.

Deux Thu 20-Apr-17 17:05:10

I've not got laminate but engineered oak and I use a product by Woca called maintenance paste. It's a coloured semi translucent gel and that works well to hide scratches and it protects the surface of the scratch too. Not sure if it would work on laminate though.

Aside from the other suggestions, try a felt tip pen or sharpie marker in the scratch to hide it then something waxy on top to seal it.

pardrej Thu 20-Apr-17 17:57:55

Zombie, people.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now