Talk

Advanced search

how often do you clean the oven/ defrost the freezer/ clean windows?

(10 Posts)
stegasaurus Mon 09-Aug-10 17:13:35

2 weeks ago we (DH and I, no kids yet) moved into our new house. Old house was rented and we were very bad at keeping it clean and tidy. New house, new start I hope, so I made a list of jobs I need to do daily, weekly and less often in each room to hopefully make myself do stuff. But how often do people do these jobs?
How often do you clean your oven?
How often do you properly clean out the fridge?
How often should you defrost a freezer?
The appliances are all new and I want to keep them reasonably nice.
How often do you clean the inside of the windows? The house has very high ceilings and I'm very short. I don't know how I'm going to clean some of the tall windows as I won't be able to reach the tops even if I stand on the stepladder.
I've only had 2 days off work since we moved in so still not even unpacked most of the boxes yet.

LibertyGibbet Mon 09-Aug-10 17:17:42

It's a good idea to have a list of what you will do and when and stick to it. I used to have a massive clean every now and then. Now I spend half an hour a day if that doing a set job and it's all kept on top of.

Oven: wipe round while cooling after use with warm soapy water. Proper clean once a week as part of cleaning/mopping kitchen.

Fridge: Clean out fortnightly before going to do a big shop

Defrost the freezer: when it needs it

Clean inside windows: weekly

peachybums Mon 09-Aug-10 17:20:14

Oven - once per month
Fridge wipe once a week, big clean once per mth
We have a frost free freezer
Microwave every week as DS spills breakfast in there and never wipes up or does half assed
Windows every 2 days as DD is a toddler who likes to make 'handprints' on them

Clean back patio windows every 2 weeks

PavlovtheCat Mon 09-Aug-10 17:20:43

Oven - whenever the fire alarm starts to go off each time we use it wink

Defrost the freezer - er...never.

Clean windows - outside, once a month (window cleaner), inside, whenever MIL visits, so, around once a year! (maybe twice) Or, whenever I am pregnant, every week as I become a bit anal about smudges grin

DuncanDisorderly Mon 09-Aug-10 17:22:25

Oven: never. Its cleaned by ovenu twice a year.

Fridge: I wipe spills as I see them. Properly taking out all shelves and things probably three times a year.

windows: errr, maybe once a year. Actually I have lived here 4 years and not cleaned some of them.

what can I say? I have better things to do with my time. If I can see out of my windows they are clean enough, if there is no mould in my fridge that is good enough, and if my oven works, I don't care what it looks like.

DuncanDisorderly Mon 09-Aug-10 17:23:31

oh and freezer gets done when it is too frosty to close.

ChickensHaveNoEyebrows Mon 09-Aug-10 17:29:47

Oven: once a month.
Fridge: every week.
Windows: er, about twice a year.

maryz Mon 09-Aug-10 17:35:03

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

CouldOfWouldOfShouldOf Mon 09-Aug-10 17:37:27

Oven-every other month or so. As soon as it needs it really.

Freezer-when I can hardly shut the door. I hate it because I have to wrap all the food up in newspaper and duvets and then wash the duvets

Windows-when I can no longer see out. I hate cleaning windows.

CouldOfWouldOfShouldOf Mon 09-Aug-10 17:38:57

I missed fridge. I mop up spills and clean it monthly before the online shop arrives.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: