Talk

Advanced search

Note: This topic is for discussing household goods. If you want to buy or sell household goods, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Extra wide Toddler Security Gates

(12 Posts)
spambolina Wed 11-Nov-09 18:17:27

Anyone know of extra wide security gates- having a nightmare trying to find anything that will fit our patio doors which are 145cm wide.
We have a babydan playpen but the seperate sections will still not work unless the whole thing protrudes massively into the room.

HELP!!

luckyblackcat Wed 11-Nov-09 18:21:07

The roller blind style one is longer than average.

sylar Wed 11-Nov-09 18:21:20

You can take off sections of the babydan playpen. We used it to separate our kitchen and sitting room (which had a double door width opening) and it was the perfect solution. There was a little bit overlapping the sides but it was placed flat across the opening.

IneedacleanerIamalazyslattern Wed 11-Nov-09 18:23:23

How many sections do you have to use.
I had a babydan configure gate which is the same idea but only 3 60cm sections and you could use them pretty much anyway as long as not in a complete straight line and I had it in a kind of zig zag.

sylar Wed 11-Nov-09 18:24:14

Yes we had the roller blind one too on our stairs. Its definitely wider than single door width (although not sure its double door width). Its fiddly though til you get the knack

sylar Wed 11-Nov-09 18:26:02

Pretty sure we used three sections. We had one each side and then the gate section in the middle.

As I say we just placed it flat against the wall and used the wall bars supplied to screw it in. It was also easy to remove when we had guests.

luckyblackcat Thu 12-Nov-09 09:40:36

Although I rec'd the roller blind, this was because I had presumed you had thought of using sections of your BD playpen!

I am currently using 3 sections to provide a barrier with a gate to stop my puppy getting to the parst of the house she is not allowed in unsupervised.

You can get wall fixing kits. As prev poster states you cannot use it in a straight line though - which is why I thought you meant it stuck out too far.

I have mine in a shallow cup shape not zig zag, works fine.

sylar Thu 12-Nov-09 19:43:05

You can use it in a straight line. I'm not explaining very well but you dismantle it so that you only have three sections and then you place it flat against your patio door opening so that it overlaps each side (you would have a problem if you had architrave around the opening which we didn't). Then you screw the wall fixings to the wall at the point at which the sections end and then you can place the three sections flat agianst the wall in a straight line and screw the fixings shut.

Does that make sense?

I should qualify this by saying that we did this two years ago. Maybe they've changed the design?

tethersend Thu 12-Nov-09 19:54:26

I have the same issue... can anyone link to the playpen you mean?

I have double doors dividing the kitchen and living room which leave approx 2m gap... would the playpen work for that?

sylar Thu 12-Nov-09 20:03:47

www.kiddicare.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10001&catalogId=10751&langId=-1&p roductId=5915&source=froogle&cm_mmc=Froogle-_-Shopping%20Sites-_-CPC-_-Froogle

This one.

sylar Thu 12-Nov-09 20:08:27

www.kiddicare.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/productdisplayA_334_10751_-1__2309_10001_

Not sure previous link is working but in any event it seems to be cheaper to buy this (which is effectively half a playpen!)

tethersend Thu 12-Nov-09 21:23:59

Wow, great, thanks sylar... think I will get the second one smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now