Talk

Advanced search

Note: This topic is for discussing household goods. If you want to buy or sell household goods, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

New Ikea sofa is hard as a board-any point in trying for a refund?

(17 Posts)
PCPlumIsMyHomeboy Tue 10-Nov-09 22:58:50

That's it really. Our new Ikea sofa bed was delivered last week, and it is SO uncomfortable. Every time I go into the room, I get a sinking feeling, because I feel like it was a really bad purchase. It's supposed to be the main seating in our playroom/family room in our new house, and I can see me avoiding sitting on it to the extent that we don't use the room. It's just hard as nails-the one in the shop was firm, but nothign like this!

Do you think there is any point in me even trying to get a refund? I know Ikea are generally awful with refunds, and can't really face dragging two small children there if there's no hope at all.

brimfull Tue 10-Nov-09 23:25:47

What type is it?

PCPlumIsMyHomeboy Wed 11-Nov-09 10:31:57

Is the Karlstad 3 seater sofa bed. Fabric cover, concrete cushions.

morningpaper Wed 11-Nov-09 10:38:44

No I think you are doomed

sofabeds are ALWAYS uncomfortable

You could sell on Ebay and probably get 50-75% of the price

OrangeFish Wed 11-Nov-09 10:41:18

Get your children to jump on it, that was the one in store was firm but not rock hard.

You can get a refund, but you will need to take the sofa back to the refund desk.

WowOoo Wed 11-Nov-09 10:58:43

Call first and explain the situation.

mice Wed 11-Nov-09 11:03:18

You have to actually take it back yourself for starters - when our sofa was faulty and they were prepared to replace it we still had to hire a van and deliver it back to them - and then they paid our van hire costs when they determined it was a fault - it isn't easy to return things even if they delivered them I'm afraid.

PCPlumIsMyHomeboy Wed 11-Nov-09 11:20:17

Hmm, can't drive, not sure sofa will fit on buggy board.

Will call them and see just how unhelpful they are.

Sputnik Wed 11-Nov-09 11:40:28

I've always found Ikea very good at giving refunds, even after the 30 or 90 day period has expired, no questions asked. You will probably have to get it there though.

I have this exact sofa btw, don't find it hard, although it's quite rare I get to actually sit on it!

brimfull Wed 11-Nov-09 12:51:55

I'm sure it'll softne up soon
We found the ektorp hard at first but it's very comfy now.

We have jennylund armchairs and they are rock hard as well, i encourage ds to jump on them.

PCPlumIsMyHomeboy Wed 11-Nov-09 17:59:41

Have called them, they are sending The Inspector round next week.

If all else fails, you'll have to send me your DS, ggirl.

brimfull Wed 11-Nov-09 18:39:38

I wonder how he will assess whether they are abnormally hard ?
Keep us posted please, and ds more than willing to give them a hammering smile

mice Wed 11-Nov-09 18:56:04

I want a job as an Ikea sofa inspector! Hope it goes well for you.

InterruptingKid Wed 11-Nov-09 18:56:53

we have a karlstad corner affair

Sputnik Wed 11-Nov-09 20:57:53

perhaps the inspector jumps on them.
Please keep us updated.

PCPlumIsMyHomeboy Wed 11-Nov-09 22:17:27

Am imagining The Inspector to be a large baby-man, a bit like Justin Fletcher, in an ill-fitting, slightly shiny suit. His main method of testing will be sitting down gingerly on his very round bottom, then bouncing up and down with a serious look on his face. I do hope I'm not disappointed.

Sputnik Thu 12-Nov-09 12:05:23

Any chance of you setting up a surreptitious webcam?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now