Talk

Advanced search

Note: This topic is for discussing household goods. If you want to buy or sell household goods, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

What kitchen "gadget" would you treat yourself too?

(25 Posts)
IOnlyReadtheDailyMailinCafes Fri 21-Aug-09 20:48:43

My options at the moment are a kenwood mixer or magimix but not sure which would be best. Or a breadmaker?

IOnlyReadtheDailyMailinCafes Fri 21-Aug-09 20:58:21

sorry have put an extra o in the title blush

Heated Fri 21-Aug-09 21:02:12

Just treated myself to a potato ricer...be still my beating heart.

Am contemplating marvellous things in Lakeland, like a Remoska electric cooker.

nancy75 Fri 21-Aug-09 21:04:36

i am drawn to the remoska too, dont really know why, or even exactly what it does, but everytime i look at their book i just want one!

BertieBotts Fri 21-Aug-09 21:05:04

I would get a breadmaker, after reading "Not on the Label" about what goes into sliced loafs...

IOnlyReadtheDailyMailinCafes Fri 21-Aug-09 21:07:19

that electric cooker looks fascinating.

LovelyTinOfSpam Fri 21-Aug-09 21:15:17

I normally shy away from kitchen gadgets as they take up loads of room and I never end up using them.

However we got the old version of this as a wedding present and it is brilliant, use it all the time, highly recommend. If you like coffee, obviously grin

<goes and googles remoska>

puffylovett Fri 21-Aug-09 21:17:31

PIL's have the Remoska, they love it and use it lots for things like chicken curry.

I would get a top of the range ice cream maker to languish in my cupboard grin

Bertie - do tell - what goes into sliced loafs ?

IOnlyReadtheDailyMailinCafes Fri 21-Aug-09 21:22:02

We do have a coffee maker, although not as flash as that.

I do like my gadgets and use all of them, have juicer which I use most mornings, slow cooker, steamer - use most days, blender - I make a lot of soups so it gets used and a food processor which I use mainly for pastry but do use it for other things.

I do a lot of baking so dp suggested a kitchen aid while we were out today but I was a tad bewlidered by the range.

I do make homemade bread but would like to do so more often, especially as I would like to be able to mae gluten free recipes. But then would I just end up eating loads of bread and butter and put on weight.

CMOTdibbler Fri 21-Aug-09 21:27:54

I'd love a KitchenAid. DH is getting me one for my birthday and I'm soo excited ! At the moment, I only have a stick blender/whisk

I have a breadmaker, but since Genius GF bread is so good, theres no point making my own.

LovelyTinOfSpam Fri 21-Aug-09 21:27:57

Gosh. Gotta be a bread maker then? You could put some seeds in the bread then it is healthy and you can eat as much as you like grin

My DH and inlaws are very gadgety. Last xmas they bought him a waffle maker. He is too fat already. And it's crap. And it never gets used. I am going to throw it away in a few years and hopefully he won't notice... I yearn for uncluttered surfaces so I can actually do some, like, cooking hmm

Heated Fri 21-Aug-09 21:33:09

Kitchen Aid is ££ but soo pretty grin

LovelyTinOfSpam Fri 21-Aug-09 21:40:20

DH wants a kitchen aid.

<looks at current lack of surfaces>

<takes a dim view>

dollyparting Fri 21-Aug-09 21:44:04

Oh no - not the bread maker. I use all kind of gadgets: ice-cream maker, pasta maker, mandolin etc.

But the bread makers (both of them) were a real disappointment. Leaden bread, soggy bread with both types.

Much easier to make your bread by hand, and much better smell all over the house when you cook it in your normal oven. And you can make little rolls and fancy shapes smile

LovelyTinOfSpam Fri 21-Aug-09 21:54:09

In the interests of trying to be helpful I have asked DH what he would have, as this is his bag really.

he said:

Real doughnut maker
Ice cream maker
Deep fat fryer

Did I mention already that he's too fat? grin

BikeRunSki Fri 21-Aug-09 21:57:07

Kenwood Chef (my 3o year old one just died)
Breadmaker
Slow Cooker

Trying to persuade DH that we shoudl make a family investment if he wants to carry on eating after I go back to work in a couple of weeks.

cookielove Fri 21-Aug-09 21:58:47

i would have a chef, cause i can never be bothered to cook

BonsoirAnna Fri 21-Aug-09 22:00:13

KitchenAids are lovely.

But take up a lot of space...

LovelyTinOfSpam Fri 21-Aug-09 22:01:04

<nods sagely in agreement with anna>

BertieBotts Fri 21-Aug-09 22:03:59

Loafs? I meant loaves lol.

Erm.. can't remember exactly off the top of my head, but loads of weird stuff to make it retain water, and fat to make it spongy I think. I just remember it made me think yuk... no wonder I'm not a fan (never really liked bread but I do like freshly made stuff).

rasputin Fri 21-Aug-09 22:04:53

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

IdontMN2makecopyforlazyjournos Fri 21-Aug-09 22:06:06

I'd love a kitchen aid. And an Aga. And an Aga Companion. And the bloody enormous kitchen with island unit with integrated sink and electric points that I would need to accomodate all the kitchen junk I would like.

DH did buy me a JML Kitchen "pro" though (lsat of the big spenders) which does surprisingly effective julienne carrots.

LovelyTinOfSpam Fri 21-Aug-09 22:07:14

I think that cheap loaves and supermarket ones use stacks of yeast to get them to rise quicker so cutting down the preparation time. And apparently this is why we all have thrush.

<reads own post and thinks it sounds suspiciously like a load of cobblers>

mawbroon Fri 21-Aug-09 22:14:21

I would love a Kenwood Chef, or actually the bigger one, think it's called a Major.

My Mum has had hers for 40 odd years and I know I would use one almost every day!

But they are over £300 shockshock

IOnlyReadtheDailyMailinCafes Fri 21-Aug-09 23:53:13

I dont get what is the difference between the kenwood chefs and kitchen aids et al. Have seen one on amazon for about £150. We went into Saftesbury today to look at one in a kitchen shop and they ranged from about £200 to £350.

I have an electric hand mixer, is that all I really need? What do people use them for?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now