Talk

Advanced search

Note: This topic is for discussing household goods. If you want to buy or sell household goods, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards. We've spent weeks researching and testing vacuum cleaners in real homes with real families. Read our vacuum cleaner reviews to find out which ones were awarded Mumsnet Best.

DFS sofa is trash after less than a year

(19 Posts)
Meowmeowwoofxo Wed 30-May-18 20:38:27

We purchased a new 3k sofa less than a year ago from DFS.
All the seats and foot stool have sagged and look so old and misshaped already. Last night the seam on the foot stool ripped open.

Has anyone else had a similar situation?

AiredaleFan Wed 30-May-18 20:56:18

We had two sofas from DFS where the back sagged after a couple of years. They have a 10 year guarantee. We called the shop where we bought them and they arranged for someone to come round and he fixed them both there and then. As good as new now.

Scribblegirl Wed 30-May-18 20:58:20

Ours is 18 months and TBH I'm disappointed, especially since we're still paying it on credit. Have put it down to the fact it's next to a radiator, a sofa bed and the fact we have a cat, so don't feel we can return. Still a bit crap tho.

Tara336 Wed 30-May-18 21:02:13

I have a DFS sofa I’m not too pleased with it either, it’s in our secret nd home so hardly used but seat cushions were going flat almost straight away. I wouldn’t buy from them again tbh

DaisyChainsForever Wed 30-May-18 22:02:36

I bought a sofa from Next last year, I've just made the final payment (12 months interest free) and it looks like it needs replacing already. Very disappointing. Wouldn't advise buying from Next.

notacooldad Wed 30-May-18 22:04:16

Our DFS settee is over 12 years old.
There nothing up with it although I'm a bit bored with it now.

unintentionalthreadkiller Wed 30-May-18 22:07:56

My dfs sofas are 12 years old, no issues apart from they are severely unfashionable.

buckeejit Wed 30-May-18 23:16:19

I think most high st sofas are made from cardboard nowadays. My folks have had the same sofa for 45 years & it's still great, recovered 2-3 times

I recommend 2nd hand multiyork or Parker knoll if you find a style that you like. Or at least second hand high sr brands

Agreed with complaining though

Meowmeowwoofxo Sun 03-Jun-18 10:57:34

@AiredaleFan ah amazing that's good to know - I'll ring them and see if they can come round. They're really bad and it's at the point where we kind of want new ones already

Meowmeowwoofxo Sun 03-Jun-18 10:58:21

@Scribblegirl yeah ours are financed too and it's just a joke paying that much for something so bad. sad I'm going to complain maybe you should too and see if either of us have luck x

Meowmeowwoofxo Sun 03-Jun-18 10:58:48

@DaisyChainsForever wow that is surprising! I always think Next would be greatly good!!!

Meowmeowwoofxo Sun 03-Jun-18 10:59:56

@Tara336 yes that's the thing with ours. The seat covers are so misshapen, and the back cushions are made of the cheapest filling - my dogs toys are literally better stuffing!

Meowmeowwoofxo Sun 03-Jun-18 11:01:18

@buckeejit I suppose things were built to last years ago as now people are more happy to replace things as styles change..... I think we're going to give this a few years and then get a second hand M&S or Laura Ashley one.... they're meant to be good

falang Sun 03-Jun-18 11:05:21

I have a Dfs sofa that is 4 years old and has broken twice. They came out and fixed it both times which is good. However, I would advise against taking out the insurance cover offered when buying. I was persuaded to do so because I was told it would cover animal damage. My cat had been sharpening her claws on one arm so I tried to claim but was told because I hadn't been in the room when it happened they wouldn't replace or recover. (If I'd been in room she wouldn't have been sharpening her claws on the sofa). Total rip off.

BarryTheKestrel Sun 03-Jun-18 11:12:07

My grandparents have a DFS leather sofa. They've had them round twice to restore it under the 10 year guarantee because the cushions were sagging.

fairgame84 Sun 03-Jun-18 11:14:27

Ah no daisy my new sofa is coming next weekend from Next. It's too replace the 18 month old Sofology sofa that is about as supportive as a bowl of mousse.

ParentInCharge Sun 03-Jun-18 11:51:21

I bought mine at Harvey's and after just 10 weeks it was losing its fabric covering (it's a faux leather and it was peeling and flaking off). It took months waiting for replacements and at one point an engineer had our whole living room in a shambles recovering it for 8 HOURS! They should have just hauled it away because when he was finally done I noticed he had only recovered the seats and not the peeling backs. What a fucking palaver.
Eventually though a whole new one came and almost 5 years later it's still pretty good. There are areas where the leather look has flaked off a bit but it just looks like aged leather not defective.

Like all big retailers, DFS have a responsibility to comply with the sales of goods act and must repair or replace your sofa. Give them a call and tell them very nicely that you need an engineer out to assess it for repair/replacement. Stay calm and polite and you'll get better results more often than not.

SluttyButty Sun 03-Jun-18 12:06:39

We bought a hygena one 7 months ago and it's starting to look tatty. £1000 for one sofa and extra for a matching footstool.
Really quite disappointed because I expect sofas to last for years due to not being someone who regularly changes them when I redecorate.

Tara336 Sun 03-Jun-18 16:34:08

I think I might call them out again. I did straight away when the cushions started to sag but he turned up to view them at a time I specifically said I wouldn’t be there then got the hump with me on the phone.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: