Talk

Advanced search

Note: This topic is for discussing household goods. If you want to buy or sell household goods, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Coffee machine for office - simple to operate and not messy!

(21 Posts)
Ginmummy1 Wed 24-Jan-18 12:00:23

Can you recommend a suitable coffee machine for work please?

We’ve been using the Phillips Senseo for some time (which uses teabag style pods), but we’ve moved office and no longer have our own kitchen, so we need something without ‘drippy’ teabags! We need something with minimum risk of mess: the only ‘wet’ stuff we want in the office is the water we’ll need for filling the water reservoir.

We also want it to be ‘simple’, with minimal choices, ie coffee or no coffee! We will add cold milk from the fridge.

Preferably with no fiddly buttons and very obvious how to operate (we have a rather clumsy unworldly director who can make a mess of anything).

It will get about 6-8 uses per day, so not heavy use.

Preferably a low cost initial outlay. Price of pods is a factor, but this is less important than the initial cost.

Pods being recyclable would please us, but this is not essential.

Numbsnet Wed 24-Jan-18 12:04:49

I've just bought this for home and it takes any coffee beans.
Just throw out the ground waste.

No skill required once its set up. Only need to press one button and it does the rest.
These bean to cup machines used to be £400+ but have fallen in price recently.

So much better environment wise than pod machines.

Numbsnet Wed 24-Jan-18 12:05:27

Forgot the link, this one
www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00LB8FHJ4/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?keywords=esam+2800&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&tag=mumsnetforum-21&ie=UTF8&qid=1516795287&sr=8-1

MrsSpenserGregson Wed 24-Jan-18 12:07:30

We have a Tassimo machine - the pods aren't cheap but we use maybe 3 per day maximum, and you can add your own milk rather than buying the expensive milk pods if you like... There are three of us at work and it's very simple to use, you just put the water in, put the pod in, and press one button (there is only one button so it's not at all confusing!)

MrsSpenserGregson Wed 24-Jan-18 12:07:42

We have a Tassimo machine - the pods aren't cheap but we use maybe 3 per day maximum, and you can add your own milk rather than buying the expensive milk pods if you like... There are three of us at work and it's very simple to use, you just put the water in, put the pod in, and press one button (there is only one button so it's not at all confusing!)

Ginmummy1 Wed 24-Jan-18 12:46:21

Numbsnet - we don't want anything messy, so bean to cup is out of the question for the office, unfortunately!

MrsSpencer, from your description it sounds as though the Tassimo would fit the bill!

I have heard that Nespresso coffee is nicer. No idea how easy/clean those machines are to use though?

halfwitpicker Wed 24-Jan-18 13:06:44

Numbsnet

You have the best username I've ever seen on here. Respect.

MrsSpenserGregson Wed 24-Jan-18 13:33:29

I'm not sure about the Nespresso - it would be worth having a look on Amazon to see which types of coffee the Tassimo used (we buy the Costa pods but there are loads of different brands that make pods that are compatible)

It really is idiot-proof. And I speak as an idiot... grin

AnneWiddecombesHandbag Wed 24-Jan-18 13:52:02

Def tassimo! Love mine for ease of use and choice of coffee.

FoofFighter Wed 24-Jan-18 14:04:11

You can buy tassimo compatible fake pods in Lidl so that would make it cheaper.
I have a Dolce Gusto but it's really noisy, my cousins tassimo definitely quieter.

FoofFighter Wed 24-Jan-18 14:04:36

I meant Nespresso Lidl pods! blush

Batteriesallgone Wed 24-Jan-18 14:06:37

How do you mean messy?

My bean to cup needs the grounds container emptied roughly every 6-8 cups of coffee. So once a day in your case. Is that really too much mess?

Wh0KnowsWhereTheT1meG0es Wed 24-Jan-18 14:23:05

We have a Tassimo at work and a Nespresso at home. The Nespresso makes WAY nicer coffee (in fact I've given up on the Tassimo and just drink tea at work but most people are happy with it) but the Nespresso is a bit messier, ours drips a little and unlike the Tassimo where you remove the used pod straight away, it drops them into a little holder which needs emptying every 6 or 7 cups and does usually have a bit of liquid in. The benefits of both over bean to cup are that it's easier to have different coffees, we have a mix of strong, mild and decaff pods at any given time. A few at work only drink decaff and others want full caffeine.

Wh0KnowsWhereTheT1meG0es Wed 24-Jan-18 14:24:13

We recycle the pods from both machines. Save them up and drop them at collection points, worth checking that out before you commit to one.

Ginmummy1 Thu 25-Jan-18 08:52:28

Batteries - the boss has said absolutely no grounds emptying, so it does have to be pod.

Wh0knows - that's really useful, even though we now don't know whether to go with delicious or clean!

I have fed back to the person with the credit card, and will try to report back once we've got our machine. Thanks smile

Ginmummy1 Thu 25-Jan-18 11:36:57

I have another question! Reading up on the cheaper Nespresso machines (we probably can’t spend more than £100), it seems they generally only fit an espresso sized cup in the machine, and if you want a ‘long’ coffee you need to tip the shot into a mug and add water from a kettle. We really don’t want that – the kettle is in the kitchen down the corridor, and our ham-fisted Director must not be given the option to pour anything other than water in the office!

We all drink long, quite strong coffee. Is our best bet to compromise on taste and go for a Tassimo? Or even a Dolce Gusto?

Sorry for apparent drip feed. I’m refining the priorities as I go…

Wh0KnowsWhereTheT1meG0es Thu 25-Jan-18 14:09:23

It does depend on the individual machine with Nespresso, ours can fit a full size mug but it's one of the more expensive ones, our old cheap one only fitted small cups. Also even the long shot capsules are only about half a mug, you might find everyone using two pods to get a mugful. To be honest I'd go for Tassimo in your situation. Bear in mind that whichever you choose you'll have to refill the water tank every few cups plus every morning for freshness, so there will be a bit of to-ing and fro-ing to the kitchen.

Ginmummy1 Thu 25-Jan-18 14:28:37

Thank you. Refilling water, while a pain, is less risky to the carpet than anything else.

A colleague has noticed that Tassimo reviewers tend to say that the coffee is not very hot, which is OK if you're drinking it black, but two of us add milk from the fridge! What seemed like a simple 'ask' seems to be anything but!

We might have to resort to bringing a morning coffee from home in a flask mug, and having instant. There's also a Costa drive-through close by, but that's taking it a bit far!

Wh0KnowsWhereTheT1meG0es Thu 25-Jan-18 15:34:02

It's not piping hot from Nespresso either if you use cold milk.

AnneWiddecombesHandbag Thu 25-Jan-18 17:39:28

I don't find that the tassimo coffee isn't hot. If cold milk makes it too cold for your taste maybe you could try coffee mate or similar?

Ginmummy1 Fri 26-Jan-18 08:00:17

My colleague has found a good deal on a cheap Tassimo. We're going to go for that, for now. Thanks for all your help!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: