Talk

Advanced search

Wardrobes

(6 Posts)
Katyx3 Tue 09-Jan-18 12:40:57

Hiiii!!
New Mum here worrying about the world!
Not sure if right place to post but...
I have my Nans old wardrobes which are white (or were!) they are very old, but lovely three piece unit, would love to make them whiter and possibly use in the nursery for new baby, as I won't part with them and will also free up room/save some money. I know my nan would of been very happy to see this also smile
Any ideas of improving them?
The white is not like painted (it's a bit like chip board?!) so don't think sanding is an option.
Thanks for reading, if it made any sense at all! 😂 x

PricillaQueenOfTheDesert Tue 09-Jan-18 12:52:43

I think I know the material you mean when you say white chipboard. You can repaint them, my parents repainted some kitchen units in similar materials. You need to buy a two part kit which has a primer/base coat then you can paint the units and it lasts really well.
Dad repainted their kitchen units which were good quality but dated about 20 years ago and they still look great. They obviously get wiped down a lot, being in the kitchen. (He did them in a blonde wood finish as they were previously v dark wood,)

Katyx3 Tue 09-Jan-18 12:57:54

Ahh this is great news thanks so much!
Any ideas what the paint is called that I need?
Thanks again x

User5trillion Tue 09-Jan-18 13:00:41

I would give them a good scrub with sugar soap then buy some self adhesive stickers ( cheap as chips on amazon). They have lovely nursery suitable designs, they will catch your eye and distract from the oldness of the furniture.

You can sand and paint with a 2 step finish but its a lot of work!

Katyx3 Tue 09-Jan-18 14:02:29

Not the best picture!

User5trillion Tue 09-Jan-18 19:54:24

I have painted wardrobes like your ones and it is very hard to get a good finish and its prone to chipping and flaking. I stand by my advice! Do post a pic when you are finished, whatever you decide to do. Good luck

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: