Talk

Advanced search

Note: This topic is for discussing household goods. If you want to buy or sell household goods, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards. We've spent weeks researching and testing vacuum cleaners in real homes with real families. Read our vacuum cleaner reviews to find out which ones were awarded Mumsnet Best.

Will a halogen oven save electric?

(9 Posts)
WorkingMumOnTheGo Fri 05-Jan-18 14:09:06

Hi everyone. My flat runs on electric except the hot water in the kitchen and heating is run on gas.

I have an electric cooker which takes forever to cook sometimes! I have to pre-heat it for 10-15 minutes before I can put food in it and then the food takes time to cook as well and I genuinely believe it is using too much electric. The energy rating for my cooker is B so it's not too bad on that part and it is only a year old.

I have a mini air fryer but my electric cost is still the same? I am on the cheapest energy tariff as I change every year to save money.

I cook a lot because I home make all of my meals from fresh. I have been looking into one of them halogen ovens that is heated by light.

Do anyone know whether or not they would save much electricity?

VeganCow Thu 18-Jan-18 00:40:43

Ours is used daily. Have hardly used my oven since I got the halogen. No pre heating required and cooks faster. I believe the cost is about 2/3rds the cost of an oven as in how much KWH electricity is used but the food cooks faster too so uses even less. I like how easy it is and you can see the food cooking

WorkingMumOnTheGo Thu 18-Jan-18 10:57:59

@VeganCow thank you for your reply! I am really swaying towards getting one. I definitely need food to cook fast so it sounds perfect! I am still looking online for one. They are quite cheap actually so shouldn't be any problem!

VeganCow Thu 18-Jan-18 11:05:16

Yes you can pick them up cheap. I got one on eBay. Make sure you get one with a hinged lid. A lot have a separate lid and you have to put it in the stand as it gets hot. The lid on mine just stands up for ease. One like this is good-
ebay

VeganCow Thu 18-Jan-18 11:06:23

Sorry will try that again

m.ebay.co.uk/itm/VonShef-Premium-12L-Hinged-Lid-Halogen-Convection-Oven-Cooker-Extender-Ring/272410804330?epid=2255546175&hash=item3f6cf3006a:g:6zUAAOSwxKtX~ljz

WorkingMumOnTheGo Thu 18-Jan-18 11:22:30

@VeganCow that's exactly the one I was looking at!! The hinged lid is a great idea it is so silly that some of them don't have one on as a safety mechanism! I like that one though! My dad has a VonShef microwave oven and it works brilliantly so I know their brand is good! I am going to look into it.. really tempted now lol! My OH will not be too happy that I am spending money again blush

jemmysmum Thu 18-Jan-18 11:22:53

Not sure exactly how much electric they use ,but they are v good.Burgers,sausages etc come out juicy with only a small spray of oil,the fat all drains away.Things like breaded garlic mushrooms come out lovely and crispy,if I put these in normal oven they come out soggy!Also pork chops and steaks -succulent.The one shown above seems like a really good offer-mine hasn't GT the hinged lid-wish it had it is a pain finding somewhere to put it down when hot.Also all the extras you get with it,I had to buy them all separately with mine,so seems like a really good deal.

jemmysmum Thu 18-Jan-18 11:25:44

Ooh ooh forgot about pizzas,cook very quickly,crispy base still and stringy cheese-not burnt!!

VeganCow Thu 18-Jan-18 12:27:40

Yes everything cooks great. We’re all vegan/veggie but do veggie burgers, waffles, veggie sausages, crisp bakes, grilled mushrooms and tomatoes, pizzas, roasted vegetables everything you would oven cook or grill does brilliantly

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: