Talk

Advanced search

Note: This topic is for discussing household goods. If you want to buy or sell household goods, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

What is wrong with my washing machine!!

(28 Posts)
user263781638 Tue 07-Nov-17 18:15:00

I don’t even know if this is in the right place but I need help before I love my mind!

Basically everytime I do a dark wash the clothes come out smelling funny, like damp with no washing powder smell. The whites on the other hand come out smelling lovely and fresh hmm
I’ve cleaned all the machine with every bastard thing on the market to no fucking avail!! angry so I bought a brand new machine all was going well for a few weeks and guess what? The smell is back!!
What the fuck is this smell, how can I stop it and please tell me someone else has experienced this as all my family think I’m making it up! That is until they smell the washing blush

RatRolyPoly Tue 07-Nov-17 18:16:10

Do you have a certain item of dark clothing that could in some way be responsible??

dertyyuoih2 Tue 07-Nov-17 18:18:55

I’d agree and say it’s an item of clothing carrying the smell

user263781638 Tue 07-Nov-17 18:20:50

Nope, I’ve even tried it with 3 dark tea towels (new) and two brand new tops as this was my theory too.

RNBrie Tue 07-Nov-17 18:21:41

Are you using different detergent or a different cycle for your darks?

user263781638 Tue 07-Nov-17 18:24:37

No the exact same for everything hmm it’s the most annoying/puzzling thing ever! My only other guess now is water but wouldn’t the whole street be in the same predicament?

RatRolyPoly Tue 07-Nov-17 18:38:13

Have you tried a blind testing? I mean surely if everything is the same the only possible answer is that somehow you/your family have some sort of "smell reaction" to coloured clothes. I remember a school experiment when I was a kid where we cooked rice with different coloured food dyes - no other differences - and got people to rate their taste. Turns out people perceived the taste to be better or worse depending on the colour - blue being the least tasty it seemed. So here's my theory: you're somehow perceiving dark things to smell worse. Perhaps it's genetic. The only way to tell is to retest with random washed items with a blindfold on. I await the results! grin

MaidenMotherCrone Tue 07-Nov-17 18:43:24

What temp is your coloured wash and are you using powder or tabs or liquid?

user263781638 Tue 07-Nov-17 18:47:41

Friends have smelt it too because I was sick of explaining it and them not believing me blush it’s like the smell of being out in the rain and then letting the clothes dry out on their own IYSWIM.
I’ve tried liquid/powders/tabs/softener/no softener and even bluddie Zaflora and dettol! They mask the smell for a second or two then when the clothes dry it’s back 🙄

user263781638 Tue 07-Nov-17 18:48:06

Oh and I’ve tired temps from 20-90 it’s still the same.

RatRolyPoly Tue 07-Nov-17 18:50:09

Are you coloured loads typically larger?

This is like a "who-dunnit", I need more clues!

Itsjustaphase84 Tue 07-Nov-17 18:52:11

Load size? Is it exactly same cycle or programme??

NoParticularPattern Tue 07-Nov-17 18:56:00

Are your dark items typically of a heavier fabric? I know mine are- not sure if it’s to do with the fabric needing to take a lot of dye?! But I find dark tea towels of the same brand are slightly thicker than those which are white/lighter coloured. I sometimes find that heavier materials don’t quite dry as quickly as they should and therefore end up with a slightly damp smell to them. Maybe try an extra spin cycle so they are coming out of the washing machine dryer and therefore don’t take so long to fully dry?

user263781638 Tue 07-Nov-17 18:57:48

Honestly like a game of Cluedo this! I suppose they are generally bigger loads but I’ve also done minimal loads too with the same outcome.
My new washing machine is a Samsung eco bubble so it’s general cycle is 1hr and temp at 40 but like I said I’ve changed this and tried every other temp/cycle going to no avail 😩
I’m going to have to sell the house at this rate, no laundrettes round here 😂

user263781638 Tue 07-Nov-17 18:59:12

The smell is from when you open the door, like they’ve just been wet by the washer not actually washed, the only time it was slightly masked was with dettol, because let’s be serious that stuff is strong

RatRolyPoly Tue 07-Nov-17 19:26:11

I'm afraid sacrifices are going to have to be made in order to find the answer. You're going to have to do a <<clutches pearls>> MIXED UP WASH.

user263781638 Tue 07-Nov-17 20:01:24

Not a mixed up wash!! 😵😵😵

That’s a definite reason to move house! I’m having palpitations just thinking about that grin

relaxitllbeok Tue 07-Nov-17 20:12:52

I think a more scientific approach is called for. Is there someone in your house who could act as assistant? Then,

- create two washing loads, one white one dark but otherwise as similar as you can manage in size, fabric mix and composition

- your assistant, in your absence, tosses a coin

- if heads, he or she puts on the white load, if tails, the dark

- when it's done, you, blindfolded, are led to the machine - your assistant mustn't say anything

- your assistant, still without speaking, opens the door and, still blindfolded and without touching anything, you say whether you think the load is white or dark.

If you identify the wash colour from its smell say five times, at least it would give confidence that there is a smell - which honestly seems a bit unlikely.

Falconhoof1 Tue 07-Nov-17 20:23:13

That is so weird! I'm going off to do a dark wash now to see if mine does the same (although I think all my washing smells crap and have started using scent boosters).

RatRolyPoly Tue 07-Nov-17 20:24:00

LOL relax grin

Come on user, be daring. I need to know what would happen with a mixed up wash. Would it smell? Would only the dark items smell and the white ones be breezy-fresh?? How can you live with the not knowing!?!

misscph1973 Tue 07-Nov-17 20:26:16

Try using white vinegar instead of fabric conditioner. Fill the drawer right up.

user263781638 Tue 07-Nov-17 21:15:21

I’ve done the vinegar thing.. it’s a nightmare!
Honestly it isn’t just me, even the kids have said their clothes smell and even my MIL has mentioned it on our clothes with no prompting blushblush
It’s so embarrassing! I might go the charity shop and buy some clothes to do a mixed load and see what happens but then again the anxiety would be too much! Arghhhh I’m honestly not making this up nor am I imaging it winewine

Itsjustaphase84 Thu 09-Nov-17 09:04:28

Do you leave the door open for the machine to dry out each time.

We had this growing up and my mum used a ton of fabric conditioner. I have a Samsung and notice that smell varies of different programs. It helps if my load is slightly small than maximum.

bigfatbumfreak Thu 09-Nov-17 09:13:29

Are you using liquid at low temps. If you are the liquid is not dispersed by the low temps and stays in the machine and goes rancid.

user263781638 Thu 09-Nov-17 14:55:37

Yeah I always leave the door open to air after, I’ve tried every washing temp possible and and have tried all different size loads, it’s a total mystery 🤔

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now