Note: This topic is for discussing household goods. If you want to buy or sell household goods, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

My beloved Vitamix just died...

(7 Posts)
Roonerspism Thu 03-Mar-16 18:51:46

After 8 years of daily faithful service, the motor just went.

They are hideously expensive and I have a lot less money than I did 8 years ago.

So I have seen the Magimix for a hundred quid.

Anyone any experience of cheaper blenders?

I used my Vitamix fir easy things like smoothies but also nuts etc! There is also a Blendtec -but it is £400 odd. Gulp

Thanks so much

TheGreatSnafu Fri 04-Mar-16 12:02:40

8 years? That's really short. I was hoping for longer out of mine than that as there are rumours that they can last up to 20 years.

How close to the 7 year guarantee were you? I would contact Vitamix direct and see if they could at least offer you a discount on a new one - they are known for good customer service.

I wouldn't ever be able to use a cheap one - used one a my friend's and it was like racing a Smartcar after having had a Ferrari. smile

But Blendtec are quite good.

Roonerspism Fri 04-Mar-16 22:58:53

It's ok! Fear not!

I googled further and discovered there is a reset button underneath. Bingo. I think it cut out because I was making these date/nut balls and didn't prod enough as the baby was kicking off. (First world problem or what, huh)

I'm pushing for 20 years!

TheGreatSnafu Fri 04-Mar-16 23:01:04

Yes, I had that happen once too. Should have suggested that!

<fistbump> Yay!

RakeMeHomeCountryToads Fri 04-Mar-16 23:03:39

Glad it's working now but also glad I've read this thread. I didn't know about the reset button but now I do grin If I ever make date/nut balls and don't prod, I'll know what to do. I love my Vitamix and would probably cry if it broke!

Roonerspism Sat 05-Mar-16 09:30:02

Yes - don't leave the poor machine like a beetle on its back, with sticky date mixture.

Maybe we need a Vitamix recipes thread grin

TheGreatSnafu Sat 05-Mar-16 21:56:24

The first time mine shut down it let off an awful stink like burning rubber, I was sure is killed it and I was only making a huge jug of smoothie with frozen fruit.

I tried making soup but it was all gross- I definitely cannot use it to cook the soup. Blend it up yes. Have you had any success with soups?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now