Talk

Advanced search

Note: This topic is for discussing household goods. If you want to buy or sell household goods, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Retro Bathroom Suite

(17 Posts)
Hubbysfun Sat 09-Jan-16 22:14:11

We have inherited from dear aunt Kitty a small bungalow that has remained untouched for 30 years. It has a glorious pink bathroom suite ( sort of shell pink).

Does anyone know whether these will become fashionable or is DH2 just trying to avoid the expense of replacement.

Has anyone updated a bathroom and kept the retro suite in place?

Devora Sat 09-Jan-16 22:22:11

I think they are already fashionable with very trendy people - not sure they will crossover into general public though. So I suppose the key question is: are you planning on living there yourself, or selling it on, or renting it out?

I would LOVE a retro bathroom suite - especially a shell pink one - but I suspect I'm in the minority.

MyFriendsCallMeOh Sat 09-Jan-16 22:23:47

If you like it and are going to live there and the rat of the house has a funky retro feel, you might get away with it. If you are going to rent it out or sell it, replace it with white. I think too many potential tenants or buyers would be put off by this.

MyFriendsCallMeOh Sat 09-Jan-16 22:24:16

**rest, not rat!

Madelinehatter Sat 09-Jan-16 22:28:04

Love retro. If you don't keep it, ebay it. They are very fashionable.

ProudMomma095 Sat 09-Jan-16 22:32:46

Oh i love these types of bathrooms!! can you post a picture? im getting really into decor since its just me and my little ones, and now there both at school i need a project. thinking of changing up my house a bit.

pieceofpurplesky Sat 09-Jan-16 22:33:45

Vary cool and an excuse to have really girly bathroom!

Hubbysfun Sat 09-Jan-16 22:47:32

Oh thanks all for the helpful thoughts. So exciting to know the suite may have a future. I guess the big question now is when do I start on the bathroom......if you were starting a renovation would you start with the bathroom or leave it until later - maybe get some quick wins from the other rooms??????

Devora Sat 09-Jan-16 22:53:50

Will you be living there? I suppose I would prioritise anything that really shouldn't be put off or would involve redecorating if you put off - new roof, wiring etc. I would then repaint the rooms, because that is quick and very very cheering. And then I'd create a pink retro fantasia in the bathroom smile

ProudMomma095 Sat 09-Jan-16 22:55:37

My father always said to start with the kitchen, that was kind of his thing, so is the kitchen in good nick? you could always dull down the bathroom, like if the bath is pink, keep it, and change the carpet and walls to a nice cream or something. how exciting for you!

Devora Sat 09-Jan-16 22:56:39

Just to add: is it just the suite that's retro, or the whole lot? Easier to make the suite look stylishly retro (rather than just old-fashioned) if you modernise around it. For example, grey metro tiles could look wonderful with a pink suite.

Finola1step Sat 09-Jan-16 22:58:50

No idea about the bathroom but, do you really have a DH2? Does he know that a DH1 exists? grin

Hubbysfun Sat 09-Jan-16 22:59:25

Kitchen? Good plan

Finola1step Sat 09-Jan-16 22:59:55

Have just spotted your nn! Hubbys? Plural?

Hubbysfun Sat 09-Jan-16 23:02:09

Lol. I wish.

ProudMomma095 Sat 09-Jan-16 23:07:01

What an awful thing to wish! i hope your husband doesnt see that!

Hubbysfun Sat 21-May-16 21:45:20

DH2 won. The pink suite is gone (bath was outrageously heavy!!!). Planted veg in it which are coming along a treat. Is DH2 right when he says that once potatoes have been grown the soil will be no good for anything else and the whole lot will need to be taken to the dump?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now