Talk

Advanced search

Note: This topic is for discussing household goods. If you want to buy or sell household goods, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Range Cookers

(7 Posts)
MotherGoose05 Tue 07-Jul-15 10:56:46

Going stir crazy with the choice of range cookers on the market. We've looked at Smeg, Rangemaster, Britannia, Mercury and Falcon... Read many reviews but none really specific to what we are wanting. We are now heading back towards the Falcon 1092ckr. Does anyone have one of these? Any feedback on Falcon products? Any help would be much appreciated.

SophieJenkins Tue 07-Jul-15 11:03:16

I've only looked at Rangemaster but wasn't impressed by the quality - there were a lot of details that didn't look or feel 'expensive' such as the painted knobs instead of proper metal on some models, the scratchy, sharp edged grill pan on others and the clanging door catch.

Go and look at some in real life is my advice. Also be sure about your measurements as they come in many widths - 90, 94, 100, 110 etc.

Good luck and have fun - I ended up keeping my 10 year old Smeg cooker as it was nicer!

MotherGoose05 Tue 07-Jul-15 11:31:56

Thanks SophieJenkins , we will continue to look...
We looked at a Rangemaster yesterday and we agree the build quality looks poor. The Falcon 1092ckr is in the lead at the moment but on other threads many people have commented favourably about Rangemaster...

SophieJenkins Tue 07-Jul-15 11:39:35

Yes it's funny isn't it. I wouldn't know any better if I hadn't had my cooker (which I've had for 10 years and it's rarely needed any help).

Stuff like the way the doors close really matters when you are spending that much dosh...clattery doors with that sort of 'nipple into hole' closure would put me off using it. The one I have (which I hasten to add was a returned-to-shop one, so very much reduced!) has lovely enamel on it, which is unbroken so you don't have any ridges when cleaning the hob - it has proper heavy steel handles and knobs, not painted ones, and the doors have a soft close-spring-type closure which feels like they are cushioned and is very quiet.

Also it has proper, heavy, thick cast iron pan supports which I have never seen the like of on anything else. The rangemaster ones were enamelled. I want to be able to shove a Le Creuset pan on there and not worry about scratching them.

I don't want to sound like a snob about it but I was amazed at things like this, and even a brand new replacement for my cooker comes in at less than one of their equivalent size models.

Those are what I would look for anyway - though I did like the handy rack thing, that comes out when you open the door, and the coating in the ovens. Oh and do get something with a glide out grill on runners.

applecatchers36 Tue 07-Jul-15 11:49:17

Agree we thought the rangemaster poor quality. In the end we got a nexus
Dual fuel 110, it is very solid, good quality , nice finishes, maybe a more modern / contemporary design but we have been impressed with it so far & would recommend it.

Purplehonesty Tue 07-Jul-15 11:59:22

We have the smeg and three years in it definitely still feels good quality and I've had no issues with it, but i wish I had paid extra for the self cleaning function!

SophieJenkins Tue 07-Jul-15 12:07:07

I can't work out if mine has that or not!! It doesn't look like it has cleaned itself recently hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now