Talk

Advanced search

Note: This topic is for discussing household goods. If you want to buy or sell household goods, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Duvet covers

(9 Posts)
Peachy43 Sat 10-Jan-15 22:15:29

Hi there, might seem a strange question but i need to get a quilt cover for my DD2 that doesnt go bobbly after a couple of washes!
She has eczema and the bobbliness irritates her skin. One bottom sheet has hardly been washes and yet its bobbly.
I use non-bio and do re-rinse and spin and then tumble dry!
So question is , does the bobbliness depend on quality, do i need to spend more?
thanks!!

hillyhilly Sat 10-Jan-15 22:27:39

I have high thread count Egyptian cotton sheets - it's been four years and they're beautifully smooth without any bobbling at all.
They are a bugger to iron but I wouldn't for a child.

myotherusernameisbetter Sat 10-Jan-15 22:30:20

Are they Cotton or poly cotton?

I think a high thread count cotton will last longer - although I have to say I have some Primark sheets that wash and wear really well.

myotherusernameisbetter Sat 10-Jan-15 22:31:16

I never tumble dry though - maybe it's that that is wearing them faster?

myotherusernameisbetter Sat 10-Jan-15 22:33:32

This one is pure cotton:

www.hm.com/gb/product/18239?article=18239-A&cm_mmc=pla-_-gb-_-home_kids_duvetcover-_-18239&gclid=COTkocy9isMCFcPKtAodBWgAUw

Delphine31 Sat 10-Jan-15 22:36:27

I have eczema and now only buy 100% cotton bedding. Polyester (in most sheets, and it's that that goes bobbly) irritates my skin to the extent that I can't wear clothing with polyester in it, so I decided switching bedding to 100% cotton was worth it and it has made quite a difference to my skin.

100% cotton bedding can be pricey but I happened to notice some nice brushed cotton tartan duvet covers in various colours in Wilkos today that might suit a child.

I buy Designers Guild 100% cotton duvet covers/pillowcases. The first one I bought around six years ago and it is lasting really well, but these are pricey. I treated myself to a second set recently and the quality seems just as good.

I buy fitted cotton sheets from John Lewis in a colour to match whatever duvet cover I've bought. These are £20 for a double so a little less for a single I would have thought.

TK Maxx often have 100% cotton bedding as well.

RandomMess Sat 10-Jan-15 22:41:38

BHS have 100% cotton and brush cotton sets, I presume some will be in the sale at the moment. I bought 200 count singles ones for £10 each a few weeks ago. HTH

hollyisalovelyname Sat 10-Jan-15 22:42:48

Would silk be good ?
Expensive though.
Try Soak and Sleep, they often have sales.

EEvans Sat 10-Jan-15 22:43:30

Go for the highest thread count you can afford. My OH bought the most expensive duvet cover ever (without me and I nearly died with shock) about 5 years ago and I swear it is the best thing we ever did! It is beautiful and not a bobble in sight! So soft and silky still. The original one came from John Lewis but I got another one of 500 thread count from TK Max. You have to be a little less fussy about get the perfect pattern but as long as you don't mind something plain or "last season" TK Max is much much cheaper. x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now