Talk

Advanced search

Note: This topic is for discussing household goods. If you want to buy or sell household goods, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Help me choose : Sebo or Dyson?

(21 Posts)
mjnh12 Fri 02-Jan-15 05:20:26

That's about it really. Looking for an upright that can do stairs. No pets, but daughter and myself have long hair which sheds.

Which model do you have and how would you rate them?

Chottie Fri 02-Jan-15 05:27:21

I have an upright Sebo, that I bought on recommendation of someone who has a B&B and I hate it. The attachments are difficult to fit and the attachment tube is too short. It's heavy and bulky and not easy to clean the stairs with.

I've had Dysons which have died on me too. However, I also have a Miele which is perfect. I use it to do the stairs and it picks up hair ok too.

lolalotta Fri 02-Jan-15 05:37:50

We just returned a sebo after only three months. It was a bagged pull along one, great to start with and them we realised as the bag filled (only taking half way here) it lost suction dramatically) we exchanged it for a Dysln animal very impressed with that!

lolalotta Fri 02-Jan-15 05:38:47

The stain picks up long hair (mine sheds too hmm)

lolalotta Fri 02-Jan-15 05:39:06

Stain??? Autocorrect! Dyson!

caravanista13 Fri 02-Jan-15 06:47:09

Thought this was another naming thread!!

Moniker1 Fri 02-Jan-15 07:09:12

I have a sebo, pretty good, a bit heavy but most of them seem to be that now.

Don't like Dyson, too clever by half, rattly and poking out the fluff into the rubbish bin in the pouring rain is something I can do without, seems to need cleaning every use.

I would look at a lighter make, maybe Miele, they no longer make the LG that I used to have.

So I would say Sebo unless you can find something lighter but still good.

siblingrevelryagain Fri 02-Jan-15 07:11:43

Hilariously I just saw the title of this thread without reading the subject and thought it was a baby name thread.

mjnh12 Fri 02-Jan-15 10:37:07

Lolalotta - which Dyson Animal did you go for? There seems to be many models.

I've just watched a great review of the Sebo X4 PET - sucked up sooo much carpet dirt. I never get carpets that clean, ever.

Tangoandcreditcards Fri 02-Jan-15 10:39:37

sibling - me too!

ToomanyChristmasPresents Fri 02-Jan-15 10:47:41

I've had an upright Sebo for 12 years now. It's brilliant! It lasted through 2 years of living in a building site and literally vacuming carpet padding (previous owners took carpets with them!). It never broke down or failed. We still have it. I have a lot of allergies and chose it because it is highly rated for capturing the smaller particles. I prefer having bags too. I find dealing directly with hair, dead bugs, dust, etc. a bit off putting.

Meanwhile, my MIL has had 3 Dysons in the same 12 years. They look neat, but for me a vacuum, cleaner is a work horse not a style statement.

iwantgin Fri 02-Jan-15 10:50:47

I bought a Sebo after asking about them on here. I have an upright, bagged Felix Rosso(?) Had it about 18 months or so.

Yes, it is heavy and a little awkward on stairs, but I am fit and able to use it. It is very efficient, and I feel like it is actually picking up the muck.

Have always had cylinders in the past- so this is my first upright. Much prefer it despite the weight.

This is mine Sebo

mjnh12 Fri 02-Jan-15 13:39:08

iwantgin - I have looked at the Felix Rosso. Looks good. How is it with hair and stairs?

There seem to be so many varieties of Sebo (much like Dyson) that I'm getting confused confused.

Not as though you can buy one, try it out and take it back if it doesn't live up to expectation. And they're such a lot of money.

DrElizabethPlimpton Fri 02-Jan-15 13:45:24

I have a sebo felix and yes it is heavy, but much better than my old dyson.

I have a chocolate Labrador who moults constantly. It copes very well with stone, wood and carpeted floors which get hairy after a few hours! I don't think any vacuum will remove stains. I use my Vax for those.

DrElizabethPlimpton Fri 02-Jan-15 13:46:38

Oops. Just re read you said stairs.

It is heavy but I manage on my stairs. One is a spiral and the other very steep.

Pancakeflipper Fri 02-Jan-15 13:52:56

Another Sebo lover. It really cleans up. I love the vac stripes just like a lawn. It's either Sebo or Miele.

Apparently Dyson are not as brilliant as they were once due to shipping it out to be manufactured with cheaper materials.

FairyPenguin Fri 02-Jan-15 14:13:49

I have an upright Sebo Dart 2. Was recommended to me by a carpet cleaner. It's an industrial version but it's the same as the Felix, I think, just not as pretty. Miles better compared to the Dyson Allergy we used to have.

mjnh12 Fri 02-Jan-15 14:54:31

Sebo seems to have the edge.
Any more thoughts most welcome ..... smile

mjnh12 Fri 02-Jan-15 14:56:19

Meant to add that DH is set on a Dyson. Not that he ever does that much hoovering. Taken in by the marketing I suspect.

Bagless are messy when emptying too - dust everywhere.

jaundicedoutlook Sun 04-Jan-15 01:15:21

Got a Sebo cylinder last year to replace a Dyson. The Dyson had got to the stage where the filter was needing very constant cleaning and the whole thing was just losing power. The Sebo is heavy, as others have remarked, but sucks like crazy and gets everything so clean. Wouldn't hesitate to recommend.

DramaAlpaca Sun 04-Jan-15 01:21:06

I think Dysons are overrated and I agree with you that it's all about the marketing.

I don't know anything about Sebo at all, but I would say that I have just invested in a Miele (in the sales) and I'm delighted with it. It's a cylinder, which suits my house better, and the suction power is incredible.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now