Talk

Advanced search

Note: This topic is for discussing household goods. If you want to buy or sell household goods, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Tumble dryer? Condenser dryer?

(5 Posts)
puppythedog Mon 10-Nov-14 21:37:54

We're struggling to dry all the washing that we have now that we have a 4 (and a bit) week old baby. We are also hoping to introduce reusable nappies as soon as she is big enough. We are therefore thinking we need a dryer to help (not to use all the time we hope).

We don't have anywhere to put a vent hose in any fixed way, we'd have to open the back door and lay it out (not what we want) or maybe one of those condenser box things? Or we get a condenser dryer. We don't want to spend too much money, up to three hundred pounds (dictated by cost of condenser dryers, would like to spend less).

What do we need to know? what about those little box things? Are condensers any good? help please?

Methe Mon 10-Nov-14 21:40:49

We have a condenser and it's fine. The condenser 'box bit' I hose off in the shower a couple of times a year and the water collected needs emptying about twice a week with daily use.

The only issue I have with it is it is noisy. Ours is a hot point.

Methe Mon 10-Nov-14 21:42:39

We've got this one

53Dragon Mon 10-Nov-14 22:12:51

Condenser dryers work fine but are far less efficient than vented ones - take longer to dry the clothes and use more electricity. I've had both and would recommend a vented one if you're drying a lot. You'll get on fine with a condenser one, though - just remember to empty the water container and fluff guard.

PigletJohn Mon 10-Nov-14 23:03:17

I prefer vented because they are simpler and have less to go wrong (also cheaper to buy)

You can make a neat round hole for a duct through the wall beside or behind the dryer using a Core Drill, from a tool hire shop, or a small builder or plumber will have one and do the job. Not if you live in a stone castle though.

When I last moved house, I did holes for my tumble drier, cooker hood, utility room extractor, and a spare hole in an upstairs room in case one day I decided to move the washer and drier up there. It took me about half a day. They are rather heavy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now