Talk

Advanced search

Note: This topic is for discussing household goods. If you want to buy or sell household goods, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Please recommend a good substitute for Body Shop's Buriti Baby Shampoo!?

(5 Posts)
Anji2705 Sat 20-Sep-14 13:30:21

Hi everyone,

Sorry to bother you but I have a little boy with some health problems who has just turned 3 (and another little boy on the way). The 3 year old has angioedema, eczema and allergies to quite a few things. He has a history of reacting to products especially Johnson's which gave him really bad rashes and hives and very bad sores. We tried many other products too. He does have emollient bath additive and creams prescribed for adding to bath water and for after bathing but he now prefers showers and his skin can be prone to drying out. We found that Weleda Baby Calendula Shampoo and Body Wash 200ml is perfect for use as a body wash as he does not react to it and his skin is moisturised, and combined with his after shower creaming this seems to do the trick.

The issue with Weleda is its not the best shampoo and dries his hair out which is quite thick and long. We have previously always used buriti baby shampoo (prior to Weleda we also used the buriti body wash which was great too). However, this has been discontinued for a while now. We managed to source quite a few bottles of the shampoo so are only just running out now. This shampoo smells wonderful, leaves his hair so clean, doesn't irritate his scalp at all or make his hair dry or greasy. We are so gutted that he cannot use this anymore and I will really miss the way his hair smell. I would be really grateful for any advice anyone can offer, especially people who were previously using buriti baby shampoo.

Thanks so much,

Anji

mildava Wed 19-Aug-15 11:21:56

Hi Anji.
I found your post by google when I was looking for shampoo alternatives (for myself) - I have myself eczema. I can't tell you what shampoo would be best for you baby, what I can tell you - what can help treat eczema. Right now my face and my scalp is clearing up because I've used manuka or raw honey diluted with water.
You may use any shampoo( if the hair is very dirty) for your baby and then apply honey solution mask - leave for 30-60min (if its possible) - then rinse it.
You may even go only for honey and water solution - without shampooing hair. As baby's/child's hair is naturally clean/ not greasy.

If you are interested on natural treatment of eczema try the links below:
www.foreverconscious.com/raw-honey-treats-dandruff-and-dermatitis
www.greenmedinfo.com/blog/honey-heals-chronic-dandruff-scaly-itchy-scalp-seborrheic-dermatitis

These links provides you with information how to go without shampooing hair. I can't do that just yet...
I hope it helps. I even registered to mumsnet just to reply for you... Hope you will get my message.

RainDancer Wed 19-Aug-15 11:23:34

I use Aveeno baby shampoo and body wash on my little one who was very prone to eczema as a baby. It is pricey and difficult to get hold of but you can buy it on Amazon.

Anji2705 Mon 16-May-16 17:13:35

Hi I originally posted this thread a while ago tumbled across my own message when googling the question again of "what a good substitute for buruti is". Thank you so much for answering my question and signing up to do it! I am sorry I didn't get these messages at the time. Weleda baby is still doing well for bath time and we stockpiled buruti shampoo and body butter which it says is ok as long as it hasn't been open for more than 12 months but only have few unopened ones left. I now have another boy and am in my second trimester withy number 3. We had emollient creams prescribed from the doctor for my sons eczema but they really aren't anywhere near as successful as the buruti products are. I swapped back to buruti with them recently and the results were startling. Wish they would bring it back!! :-)

Anji2705 Mon 16-May-16 17:17:39

Will have a look for Aveeno, thanks :-)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now