Talk

Advanced search

Note: This topic is for discussing household goods. If you want to buy or sell household goods, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

High bed - how long do children use them?

(5 Posts)
CactusRash Sun 23-Oct-11 10:31:33

At the moment we have 2 small bedrooms for the dcs, 6yo and 8yo. They both habe a mid-sleeper but we were wondering if a high-bed wouldn't be more suitable as they would have space for a desk and perhaps a wardrobe/cupboard underneath.

I am sure that would work well now but don't want to buy anything if it's to throw it away in 4 years time because it isn't suitable anymore (eg children are now 12~13yo and high bed aren't suitable anymore as too tricky to go in and out, need a proper full length desk etc...).

So anyone who has some experience of having high bed with older dcs/teenagers?

exexpat Sun 23-Oct-11 10:37:42

DS just turned 13 and has had one of the high beds with desk/sofabed underneath since he was 8. He is now 5'10" and the bed is getting a bit wobbly, so we're going to have to replace it soon. But if he hadn't hit his growth spurt so early it would probably be good for another couple of years. And ours was a cheapo Tesco one - the more expensive brands might be sturdier.

CactusRash Mon 24-Oct-11 16:09:33

Oh that's good to know. Thanks.

Anyone lese with older dcs in a high bed?

cat64 Mon 24-Oct-11 23:29:10

Message withdrawn

CactusRash Tue 25-Oct-11 11:44:59

Yes I had spotted the issue with a bed that's too high too. That's one of the reason why i was wondering if that's a good choice.

Interresting about the desk being too dark. With our set up, it's either that or they won't have a desk at all (no place in their bedrooms or anywehre else in the house). But I can see how the option where the desk is small would be too cramped.

All very good comments though. So Thanks!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now