Talk

Advanced search

Note: This topic is for discussing household goods. If you want to buy or sell household goods, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

How long does a washing machine normally last? Trying to work out whether to replace or repair.

(5 Posts)
KirstyJC Sun 16-Oct-11 09:59:17

We have an Indesit washing machine which is about 13 years old. It is the only one I have ever owned, bought from new, and apart from needing a new screw to hold the door on it has been problem free the entire time.

We now think it is leaking a bit of water, although not much, and we are trying to trace where it is coming from.

Although we can't really afford it I think the time has come to replace it, however DH thinks we could maybe repair it. His argument is that if it still works then it would be cheaper to repair it (assuming it's nothing too major) and that it might well continue to work for years to come. I do see his point, however I also feel we have been living on borrowed time with this lasting so long anyway, and I expect it is incredibly energy inefficient (was before ratings were introduced so don't know what it would be) and I don't want to pay for a repair only to have to replace in the near future anyway.

I have seen a nice Bosch one (we have all other appliances from Bosch, dunno why, we just like them!) and it is A+++ rating which is really cheap to run, about 20% cheaper than even an A rated one. This would almost certainly mean a significant reduction in running costs from our current one, even if it was repairable. So although we would need to pay more now it would recoup itself many times over, assuming it lasts a good few years.

So what to do? I think we need a new one, but that might be because I like new kitchen appliances blush so I am slightly biased!

So, does anyone have any idea how long washing machines are likely to last?

LadyWellian Mon 17-Oct-11 09:07:49

Well, I've certainly never had one that lasted as long as 13 years!

We had an Indesit that I reckon lasted for about 6. We're now on our second Zanussi since having DD, who is nearly 12.

If you had a Miele I might say yes, repair it, as they are renowned for lasting a lifetime. But if it's just a bit worn out then you could find you repair one thing and then another goes wrong, and it'll end up costing more in the long run than getting a new one. Plus these days they tend to be bigger, meaning fewer loads, and more efficient, so you are right about saving more in the long term.

Plus I also like new kitchen appliances grin

Pascha Mon 17-Oct-11 09:13:27

Depends where the leak is coming from really. If its the external hose or connectors you could easily replace that part cheaply. If its an internal problem it will probably cost you a fair amount in labour and parts, if it is repairable.

Are you or DH handy or do you have a friend who is? If not, start looking at new ones. 13 years is a very long time for a late nineties model.

My hotpoint is 10 years old and I think its on borrowed time now. sad

KirstyJC Mon 17-Oct-11 09:37:32

Thanks, I thought we were doing well to get it to last this long!

Not sure about the leak but it appears to be slow and coming from the bottom of the machine somewhere, even when the machine isn't on.

I have already decided on va nice new Bosch one with shiny knobs and lights and everything!! grin

Think I'll just go ahead and buy it.

Pascha Mon 17-Oct-11 10:05:23

Excellent grin We did the same yesterday with a new laptop. The old one was 8+ years old, the casing is falling apart and the screen held together with insulation tape. It feels very nice indeed to be typing on a lovely new Dell.

Hope your Bosch makes you very happy grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now