Talk

Advanced search

Note: This topic is for discussing household goods. If you want to buy or sell household goods, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Please help me find a decent dishwasher...PLEASE!

(19 Posts)
PlantHasABabyBean Mon 05-Sep-11 17:52:39

My dishwasher has broken and I'm finding it hard living without it, I need to replace it but have a budget of about £250. Ideally I would like a silver or black one to fit in with my kitchen but if need be I would have a white one.

I'm just finding it really hard to decide what to go with, i've tried reading reviews on some and they all seem like they are rubbish. Could someone recommend one for me? I always find recommendations are better.

Mucho grasias

PlantHasABabyBean Mon 05-Sep-11 17:55:24

I realise I sound spoilt, but in my defence I only got my first dishwasher a year ago and had many years of a wet tshirt and dry itchy hands before that grin

GreatNorksOfFire Mon 05-Sep-11 18:03:03

I would stretch the budget and get a Bosch if I were you. I had a Candy and it was the biggest pile of rubbish - I had to wash the plates before and after putting them in it. Drove me mad.

I am sure there are better makes - Miele for example. But save your money, save up an extra £100-£150 and get yourself a Bosch.

Oh, and you don't sound spoilt at all smile

PlantHasABabyBean Mon 05-Sep-11 18:08:58

Thanks GreatNorks

What model of Bosch do you have?

sad Another couple of months of washing up! I've tried convincing 5yo DD to do it, she makes more mess though grin grin

Fuzzled Mon 05-Sep-11 21:10:06

Bosch.
We've had ours for 6 years (was in the house when we moved in) and my DF has had his since his kitchen was done so... 20 years almost?!
<wanders off shaking her head in astonishment at the length of time>

PlantHasABabyBean Mon 05-Sep-11 21:39:39

Bosch seems to be the general consensus, thank you. smile

20 years...wow!

MollieO Mon 05-Sep-11 21:43:32

I've got a Miele. They are built to last 20 years according to the service engineer that paid a visit to mine this week. They are solidly built and so quiet that I can't hear when it's on even though we live in the kitchen (large kitchen/garden room). I like the fact that it has a cutlery tray rather than a basket, so no risk of small people impaling themselves on knives (apparently a regular problem where we live if you believe my local baby clinic).

Poshbaggirl Mon 05-Sep-11 22:00:19

Why dont you go to an actual shop and ask for advice? People in shops generally have a passion for their product type and love to talk about the ins and outs, pros and cons of their merchandise. It's true, i work in a shop and know loads about my stuff!
Try John Lewis, but dont then do that scummy thing of getting all the advice from the experts and then buying from elcheapo.com.
In the mean time, never wash up without rubber gloves!

Poshbaggirl Mon 05-Sep-11 22:01:57

But as you're asking, i'd go Mielle and get interest free credit and spread the cost. Defo worth paying coz they last.

PlantHasABabyBean Mon 05-Sep-11 22:02:44

Thanks Mollie my mum has a dishwasher with a cutlery tray at the top, they are fab, just don't think I can afford a Miele sad

PlantHasABabyBean Mon 05-Sep-11 22:08:45

poshbaggirl because I always think that they will just try to sell you the dearest one. I like to get recommendations as it's 'real' advise IYSWIM
Plus I would want to buy the appliance cheaper, after all it the same thing, just marked up in the larger stores. I'd rather go to the smaller cheaper people first than have these big companies do their 'we will match the price if someone else is doing it cheaper' I'd rather give my money to the people doing the appliance cheaper in the first place and not trying to rip me off smile

I just can't wash up in rubber gloves, tried it but it takes twice as long blush

wonkylegs Mon 05-Sep-11 22:26:49

As you can't stretch to a Miele (Is it possible to love a dishwasher??? Because I think I love ours), I had a basic Bosch in my old house, it was fab and lasted despite being used by moronic male student flatmates/ leeches lodgers (best friends ever grin) who thought you could wash anything in there including trainers hmm , apart from vein indestructible it also washed encrusted dishes which loitered on the worktop for days until I shouted at them

wonkylegs Mon 05-Sep-11 22:27:21

Being not vein hmm

timetosmile Mon 05-Sep-11 22:32:52

Bosch here too, as recommended by MIL (can I say that? Am I allowed to go along with a suggestion from a MIL on Mumsnet?) and several years of sturdy service in a family of 5.
It's a fairly standard intergrated one.
The Cooperative Electrical website has good prices, and always has helpful chappies on their helpline who seem to know exactly what they're on about.

Lougle Mon 05-Sep-11 22:32:52

I bought this one yesterday.

It is ammmaaaazzing. All our glasses were dull and smeared and marked. Our mugs had tea stains (we kept cleaning them, but the dishwasher didn't seem to bring them up clean). We finally gave up.

First load yesterday, and I could not believe my eyes - the glasses really were as you see in the adverts!! (Our previous dishwasher was 2nd hand, and we had had it 6 years, so didn't know what a new one could do).

PlantHasABabyBean Mon 05-Sep-11 23:25:08

Wonky trainers in dishwasher? You do know you can wash potatoes and cook fish in the dishwasher too you know! wink

Lougle that Bosch looks good and not too badly priced either. Was expecting them to be a fortune.

It seems that Mumsnet loves Bosch grin

Bosch seems like a good recommendation from a MIL, at least she didn't recommend you loose weight before marrying DP wink LIKE MINE DID grin grin
I long for a MIL that I could actually be friends with, mine seems to hate her own children so she sure as he'll isn't going to like me angry

<Plant realises she's gone off on a rant about MIL on a dishwasher thread humpffffh>

MollieO Mon 05-Sep-11 23:31:03

Why would you want to wash potatoes in the dishwasher, or trainers? confused

PlantHasABabyBean Tue 06-Sep-11 18:59:19

Mollie I have no idea confused

wonkylegs Tue 06-Sep-11 21:39:56

I didn't want them washing the trainers or any of the rest of the crap they put in there but I did choose to let 4 slightly mad male students live in my house so it was probably my fault!
The dishwasher lasted tho and probably saved our sanity, there is no way I would live without one grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now