Talk

Advanced search

Note: This topic is for discussing household goods. If you want to buy or sell household goods, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

kettle, bread bin, toaster recommendations please

(7 Posts)
SarfEasticated Sat 20-Aug-11 13:47:16

We are moving in the next few months and need some new household goods to take with us. We got married ten years ago and most of our John Lewis wedding presents are still going strong, but the kettle and toaster aren't doing so well. I am happy to spend a bit to get something that lasts, can you recommend me some decent brands.

Also do bread bins actually do anything to make bread last longer, or are they just a handy box for storing bread? <puzzles>

kellestar Sat 20-Aug-11 18:57:50

bread bin was a big waste of money, DH likes it because it's the same as his mum's. But I still bag and tag the bread, otherwise it goes just as stale as being left on the countertop.

Kettles I tend to burn through them quite quick, either the filter in the mouth goes. I bought a nice shiney Breville one for £40 with our wedding vouchers are it was the worst of all. I now buy one for about £20 in tesco/argos when the sale is on if it needs replacing.

Toasters was given a Prestige 2 slice toaster, which looked lovely for about 6 months, the paint flaked off shortly after that and the metalwork then blackened. We've had it 4 years, toasts just fine but it looks manky. Planning on replacing with a 4 slice toaster when the sales start up.

SiL has really posh kettle that looks like the old fashioned ones you put on the hob, I think it may be Aga, it looks lovely but I wouldn't like to guess at the price.

MrsRobertDuvall Sat 20-Aug-11 19:02:08

The DeLonghi kettle is very nice.
I need a new bread bin so will watch.
Also a toaster, I need one which doesn't spray crumbs everywhere.

SarfEasticated Sun 21-Aug-11 18:14:35

I would love a toaster that didn't spray crumbs everywhere too!
Am hoping lots of people will come by with some bread bin feedback!

Fuzzled Mon 05-Sep-11 21:16:47

I bought an ASDA £9.99 cheapo (stainless steel look) kettle and it's lasted 6 months so far...

Fuzzled Mon 05-Sep-11 21:18:08

Oh, and I hate bread bins. Much better buying a Clip Lock Tupperware box and stashing the bread in a cupboard.

SarfEasticated Mon 05-Sep-11 21:22:04

good idea fuzzled - i love clip 'n' lock smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now