Talk

Advanced search

Note: This topic is for discussing household goods. If you want to buy or sell household goods, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

I know it is very dull, especially for a friday, but tell me about your washing machine!

(69 Posts)
Joolyjoolyjoo Fri 19-Aug-11 20:11:38

Right, I am apparently a serial washing machine killer. A few weeks ago our machine started leaking, badly, and had to go to the great washing machine dump in the sky. Being tightfisted (and skint) we bought a replacement from gumtree for £50. Which was great. For 2 weeks. On wednesday an alarming bang emenated from the kitchen. The machine went into what I can only describe as a manic spin, to the point where a burning smell started coming from it! We stopped it (mmm- the smell of freshly charred clothes and rubber!!) and DH has spent the last couple of days "looking" at it. The verdict is that it is beyond all hope sad

So!! Finally had to raid the meagre savings (sob!) and have £300 to spend on a new machine, but which one?? Knowing the great wisdom of MN on such matters, DH has instructed me to ask you lot for recommendations, before we go shopping for my next victim for a new one tomorrow. I do at least 7 loads of washing a week, and would prefer a machine that has a relatively quick cycle. it doesn't need to be all-singing, all-dancing, but it would be nice if it didn't have annoying habits (eg most recent victim- beeped continuously and imperatively when it was finished a cycle, so you HAD to empty it immediately, grr- don't like being dictated to by household object, found myself shouting "I'll come when I am ready, goddammit!!") A large load capacity would be nice. also good if it was hard to kill. We only have £300 tops

Suggestions please, MNetters!!

bibbitybobbityhat Fri 19-Aug-11 20:20:35

Like you I do at least a load of washing a day and that is hard on a machine.

Unless you go for a Miele, they all wear out after about 5 years anyway.

So - go for the cheapest, I say.

Anything with a computer chip in it (which "senses" the weight of the load or gives you timings or beeps) is more mechanically complicated than is necessary.

I have had Zanussi (lasted 10 years pre-dc), Zanussi (lasted 5 years after dc1 was born so by then doing almost a daily load) and am currently on a Hotpoint Aquarius 6kg machine that I am very happy with and has done 4 years so far. It definitely only cost £300 or thereabouts cos it was in a Currys sale. I think it was about £370 normally.

I am bored to the back teeth with the number of times my neighbour (who has a 2 year old Bosch) has been round here to do a load because her wmachine has broken down again.

Joolyjoolyjoo Fri 19-Aug-11 20:21:46

I am not ashamed to bump this incrediibly dull thread until someone helps, by the way, so best to answer and get it out of the way grin

Joolyjoolyjoo Fri 19-Aug-11 20:23:27

Ah, bibbity- thank you so much!! Wasn't expecting replies without bullying. I will look into hotpoint aquarius smile

cece Fri 19-Aug-11 20:23:46

I have a Bosch and think it was just under £300 when I bought it 5 years ago. It needed new brushes yesterday but apart from that it has been very reliable. It came with a 2 year free warrantly. It did have an end of cycle beep but it can be switched off. The only thing I would say is the wash takes ages to finish!

MissTinaTeaspoon Fri 19-Aug-11 20:26:05

I agree that zanussis last - I had a second hand one when I left home at 19, it died when dd was a baby so must have lasted me 7 years, and it was ancient when I got hold of it! My parents had one that lasted for years too. Our current one is also a zanussi, we've had it for 3 years now and it's still going strong <frantically touches wood>

CaptainMartinCrieff Fri 19-Aug-11 20:27:51

My Mum kills washing machines and hoovers... I don't know how she does it, but I suspect a lot of it comes down to overloading!
My washing machine is 6 years old now and going strong... Hotpoint Aquarius. Don't get fancy buttony, electricy, programmeable nonsense. Go for simple but obviously with everything you require.

DizzyCow63 Fri 19-Aug-11 20:32:14

I also have a Hotpoint Aquarius 6kg which is 7.5 years old and still going strong. Don't know how much it was as it came with house (new-build turn key) but with DSD (13) and DS (17 weeks) I've always done at least a load a day and often more with DS's reflux!

Joolyjoolyjoo Fri 19-Aug-11 20:32:35

Another vote for the hotpoint aquarius, I see- and my dad has just reminded me he has one too, but he only does a wash every couple of weeks, so his recommendation isn't worth much grin

Conflicting opinions on the bosch, I see- hmm!

The one I just killed was a zanussi, but in fairness it wasn't new!

DontCallMeBaby Fri 19-Aug-11 20:35:37

Ours is a lower-range Bosch and will be ten years old at the end of the year. I don't think it's had anything go wrong with it ... <<touches wood frantically>>

The deal with reliability is not that every single Bosch (say) will be super-reliable, you're just more likely to get a reliable machine from them than some of the others.

I'll have a squiz at Which and see what makes they're recommending these days.

DontCallMeBaby Fri 19-Aug-11 20:39:41

Reliability: Miele 94%, Bosch 90%, Zanussi 86%, LG 85%

bizzieb33 Fri 19-Aug-11 20:41:20

I have an LG which I love, my last machine was a Zannussi which survived about 7 years.

The LG plays a tune to let you know it's finished (optional) & then turns itself off saving power, the zannussi needed phisically turning off so if out all day it stayed on!!

We got ours from amazon as price was much cheaper smile

Joolyjoolyjoo Fri 19-Aug-11 20:41:45

Thanks guys- you are fab! At least have a couple to look into now.

Captain, I also seem to have a talent for killing electrical goods- am on my 3rd hoover in 2 years blush and recently blew up my iron, somehow.

Appliances seem to prefer to commit suicide rather than be used by me! I am sure I am a SLIder (one of those strange people with some weird energy that makes lights go out- lightbulbs blow up around me on a regular basis too!)

TrompetteMilitaire Fri 19-Aug-11 20:44:06

Bosch, Bosch, Bosch. I have three in three properties, and they are all marvellous. Not a single problem in about 8 years. Wouldn't buy anything else.

PS Thanks for 'boring' thread - infinitely preferable to truly boring ones that involve swearing and being drunk.

bibbitybobbityhat Fri 19-Aug-11 20:44:18

I think you get lucky or unlucky with washing machines, like you do with cars.

bibbitybobbityhat Fri 19-Aug-11 20:46:17

All due respect an all Trompette, but three different washing machines in eight years is no kind of recommendation.

Op wants something for £300 thats going to do her 5 years+.

DecapitatedLegoman Fri 19-Aug-11 20:51:45

AFAIK Zanussi used to be really reliable but were taken over by another company a few years back and now they're less so. Mine's a second hand Zanussi which cost me £30 3 years ago and was 13 years old then - no complaints here!

orienteerer Fri 19-Aug-11 20:51:56

John Lewis own brand (is actually a well known German brand.....can't remember which one!).

bruxeur Fri 19-Aug-11 20:52:03

Slight comprehension fail there, bbh...

Waswondering Fri 19-Aug-11 20:52:05

What about John Lewis' own make, which I think - though may be wrong - is Seimens? Like this one which is in budget and has a 3 year guarantee (and no display/beepy thing!)

And for £9 they'll take away the old machine ...

TrompetteMilitaire Fri 19-Aug-11 20:52:15

No, Bibbity - I have three properties, and all have had a Bosch machine each (around £300 mark) for over eight years each. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

said Fri 19-Aug-11 20:52:28

is that not 3 machines x 8 yrs each? Anyway, I too have an 8 yr old Bosch - bottom ish of range, no beeping or digital display. Brushes wnet a few months ago - £15 repiar job. Door rubber replaced recently - £10?

said Fri 19-Aug-11 20:53:48

JL own brands are either AEG or Electrolux, I think

AliceWyrld Fri 19-Aug-11 20:57:00

Re Hotpoint, we have a Hotpoint and we think the bearings are going. It's very noisy. When I rang the washing machine repair guy, he said it wasn't cost effective to do, and to avoid Hotpoint. He said they used to be good, but about 5/6 years ago the were taken over by another company and now they are shit. Mine is 2/3 years old. He said Bosch/Zanussi.

Waswondering Fri 19-Aug-11 20:57:10

My machine (Zanussi) has a handwash cycle which I'm very grateful for ... even if I don't use it much, I use it way more than I'd ever actually handwash!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now