Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Note: This topic is for discussing household goods. If you want to buy or sell household goods, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Anyone else suspicious of potatoes?

(8 Posts)
wonderfultykes Thu 07-Jul-11 15:00:34

How do you clean your new potatoes? I used to just give them a rub under water, but DD got worms the other day, and I'm suspicious my Joanna-Lumley-esque attitude to vegetable prep may be to blame. (But of course could be DD's creature-in-garden-soil fetish).

Is there a gadget out there to take off the skins?
Electric attachment to my magimix or blender stick thingy?
Magic-new-potato-skin-remover - electronic or not?

Or am I really going to have to scrub them with a veg brush or scrape skins off with a knife. Not my idea of time well spent. Unless it avoids the worms of course.

So - how do you do it?

bibbitybobbityhat Thu 07-Jul-11 15:03:26

I do scrape the ones with papery skins like jersey royals.

But the ones that already look very clean: I just stick them in the top part of the steamer that I'm going to cook them in, and sloosh them around vigorously under a running tap.

I didn't know potatoes could be associated with threadworms?

flybynight Thu 07-Jul-11 15:05:10

Is it threadworms? If so, I doubt he got them from potatoes. Presumably the potatoes were boiled anyway. That would have killed any living thing.

Threadworms are more likely to have come from a classmate who doesn't wash hands properly after going to the toilet.

I give my potatoes a quick wash under the tap too.

wonderfultykes Thu 07-Jul-11 15:10:38

Yes definitely threadworms - but yes they were steamed/boiled, but don't know if this kills the eggs as well (which could have lodged in skin as come from soil) or not?

wonderfultykes Thu 07-Jul-11 15:12:33

BTW THey're organic ones from a veg box, that haven't been washed yet, rather than the super sparkly ones you get from shop

PuppyMonkey Thu 07-Jul-11 15:16:12

No, potatoes are all right, it's tomatoes that are the sneaky buggers. I don't trust 'em. grin

bruxeur Thu 07-Jul-11 15:16:49

That's not how you get threadworm...

winnybella Thu 07-Jul-11 15:44:11

Your DD most definitely didn't get threadworm from potatoes grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now