Talk

Advanced search

Note: This topic is for discussing household goods. If you want to buy or sell household goods, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Do you have a big noticeboard in your house to keep your family organised?

(21 Posts)
BellaBearisWideAwake Wed 06-Jul-11 11:10:59

What sort?

Just received my organisedmum calendar, but want somewhere to put up school letters/recycling bin dates/Market dates that sort of thing.

What works well? Pinboards or magnetic whiteboard? Are there any that look good as well?

wonderfultykes Wed 06-Jul-11 11:45:21

I have (B&Q?) cork pinboards with wooden frames round - one for each child's school, and one for 'home' like bins, tickets etc.

Found there wasn't enough space on one and it's so much more organised splitting it out - works very well for us. Just be bit anal and pin everything from top LH corner so you can fit more on!

Only prob - our family calendar (Charlie & Lola) is too heavy and keeps pulling the pin out of board/falling down. Maybe a thicker version of same?

BellaBearisWideAwake Wed 06-Jul-11 11:50:45

Thanks. Do you think a whiteboard would add anything to your setup?

CroissantNeuf Wed 06-Jul-11 11:51:58

We have a huge noticeboard made of wine corks on the back of the dining room door (in fact its almost the size of the door!).

On there is a family calendar (one of those ones with a column for each family member) and all the letters from school, out of school activities/clubs, party invitations etc all pinned in a vaguely organised way.

BellaBearisWideAwake Wed 06-Jul-11 12:02:38

Sounds interesting! Is that something you can buy then?

BellaBearisWideAwake Wed 06-Jul-11 12:03:02

Sorry, that sounds a bit stupid. Never heard of it though

BellaBearisWideAwake Wed 06-Jul-11 12:03:29

Really wondering whether magnetic or pins though

BellaBearisWideAwake Wed 06-Jul-11 12:04:12

I meant I sound stupid!! Not the board!!! Gah!!

CroissantNeuf Wed 06-Jul-11 12:19:28

Keep digging bella grin

I made the noticeboard myself -you just need to stick the corks in rows, end to end, on a piece of thin wood backing. It does look great (even if I say so myself!). I'm not a fan of white boards -too school/office-like

Pins work fine other than sometimes the calendar has fallen off but I just needed a bigger pin for that

wahwahwah Wed 06-Jul-11 12:21:09

I have a family organiser callender (from M&S) and just clip everything onto it will bulldog clips. Chances are, if it is missing, is is hanging off the calendar.

AliceAirhead Wed 06-Jul-11 12:35:09

Our organisation is split between a big family calandar (with slot at bottom for letters etc) held up with bull dog clip, and sticking stuff on the fridge with magnets. Seems to work ok for us. Did use a mini blackboard for a while but chalk dust got on my nerves. White boards didn't work either as people inevitably used permanent ink on it so looked really crap after a while.

BellaBearisWideAwake Wed 06-Jul-11 12:42:40

grin

BellaBearisWideAwake Wed 06-Jul-11 12:43:25

Chalk dust would annoy me also. Fridge just looks cluttered here

WowOoo Wed 06-Jul-11 12:49:55

We made a huge corkboard too. I am sure I found instructions on internet somewhere...it was years ago. Very easy to do and you can choose the size.

Also have a magnetic whiteboard. Find it great for writing things on there as i'm on phone, as I run out of an odd ingredient etc. It does look a bit officey and rubbish, but I find it so useful.
I got it from Baker Ross and got a couple for my sons to use too.

Adair Wed 06-Jul-11 14:10:46

whiteboard + wall planner here. bit office-y yes, but works!

MooMooFarm Wed 06-Jul-11 14:13:45

We have an enormous cork board in the kitchen where I pin everything and have to 'declutter' every few weeks, and I also have a calendar in the same room with big write in sections. If it's not on there, it's not happening....

CroissantNeuf Wed 06-Jul-11 14:45:25

lol at "If it's not on there, it's not happening" - that's how we run things too along with "I wrote mine on there first" (if its a case of clashing nights out)

HSMM Wed 06-Jul-11 14:50:19

Magnets on the fridge here, to hold school letters, etc. Calendar kept on email (shared), so any of us can look online, at home, or away.

Mollymax Wed 06-Jul-11 16:37:24

I have a big family organiser calendar on the kitchen wall. All letters, invitations and notices are blu tacked inside a kichen cupboard door.

GentleOtter Wed 06-Jul-11 16:43:31

Kitchen door painted with blackboard paint and chalk on a string so it does not go missing.
Important things on fridge with magnets.
Less important things on a pegboard
Stick it notes stuck to kettle or tap to remind dh of things.
3 calendars. a nice one, felt pen reminder one and a truly awful one.

<realises the kitchen is an office>

FairyCake9 Thu 07-Jul-11 16:12:45

We have a small pinup cork board to pin up important letters etc that need to be sorted. We then have a little whiteboard next to it to write messages! It works a treat!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now