Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Note: This topic is for discussing household goods. If you want to buy or sell household goods, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Anyone used a vented tumble dryer with one of those kits to collect the water instead of a hose?

(5 Posts)
KirstyJC Mon 20-Jun-11 14:38:56

I am in desperate need of a tumble dryer as I am fed up of my house looking like a launderette. (three kids with 2 in washable nappies!)

There is a cupboard in our bathroom that we can fit a tumble drier in, but it is on the other side of the room from the window and against an internal wall so we can't use a hose to vent it.

I know you can get condenser tumble dryers but I would prefer to get a vented one as it's cheaper to buy and more efficient to run.

I have seen a kit on t'internet which has a hose going into a plastic box, which is supposed to be used in place of a vented hose/external vent. Has anyone used one of these? Do they work?

Many thanks

HettyAmaretti Mon 20-Jun-11 14:44:06

I've never used one of the boxes, no, but AFAIK condensing dryers are almost always more energy efficient than vented dryers. I think it was to do with the heat lost in the steam on vented dryers.

Have you looked at second hand dryers? You'd probably be able to get a Miele condenser for the price of a new vented...

KirstyJC Mon 20-Jun-11 14:57:29

Oh, that's really interesting Hetty - I have read several reviews, including which?, and they all say the vented are cheaper than the condensers to run as well as cheaper to buy. Sigh. Now I'm REALLY confused.....confused

crockydoodle Mon 20-Jun-11 15:13:43

Just get a condenser dryer - so much easier.
I have used the device you describe.
Used to have a vented dryer and now have a bog standard zanussi condenser which wasn't that expensive. Haven't noticed it being any more expensive to run.

callow Mon 20-Jun-11 15:18:54

I have this condenser dryer from Argos. I have been very happy with it and it gets great ratings. It dries a load of washing in 1 hour.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now