Talk

Advanced search

Note: This topic is for discussing household goods. If you want to buy or sell household goods, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Frost-free freezer possibly buggered by being in garage. Too cold?

(5 Posts)
mammyknowsbest Mon 20-Dec-10 13:01:54

My frost-free freezer has lived in the garage for about 5 years. Basically the garage is as cold as the temp outside, so it's bloody freezing.
I've noticed our freezer doesn't seem to be making as much noise and doesn't seem to be working properly. I've just ordered a new one from my catalogue but to be honest I'm skint and could do without the expense.
Someone has mentioned to me that if a fridge freezer hits a temp below 4 degrees then it doesn't work properly but isn't necessarily buggered!
Is this correct? has anyone experienced this?? It could save me hundreds!!!
I have put a heater in there to warm it up, The freezer has started to whir more and the frost seems to be there but only off and on.

Doyouthinktheysaurus Mon 20-Dec-10 13:16:06

We have a fridge freezer in the garage which never works in the winter.

This is the first year I've got ahead of the game and emptied it in good time, normally I end up with ruined stuff.

I think if the temp gets below about 3 degrees outside, it stops. Works again when it warms up but we won't use it again until spring.

We have been thinking of getting a chest freezer as I used to have a very old upright freezer which worked all winter in the garage. I think it's because this one is a fridge/freezer that it keeps cutting out.

miSaltireandwine Mon 20-Dec-10 13:20:11

We had the same problem and brought the fridge freezer into the house and it works fine now.
It's somethng to dow ith them only ahving one termostat, and the fridge thinks it has reached it's ideal temeprature and then switches the thermostat off. Or something like that.
You shouldn't need to buy a new one if you ahve room indoors for it

mammyknowsbest Mon 20-Dec-10 13:33:15

Thank you all. I think you've saved me hundreds grin I'll cancel the one I've just ordered.
My bank balance states I should just make do and mend!!!! which is what I will do smile by trying to move it into a warmer spot!!

miSaltireandwine Mon 20-Dec-10 13:35:36

you should find some info here

I plugged mine in indoors and held a hairdryer near the open door for about 10 minutes and it started up

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now