Talk

Advanced search

Note: This topic is for discussing household goods. If you want to buy or sell household goods, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

What makes a good mattress

(10 Posts)
Prinpo Wed 17-Nov-10 18:45:31

Wanting to buy a new mattress for our bed and slightly bedazzled by the choices on offer. We've bought a few mattresses over the years but this time, as I am both pregnant and approaching 40, I want something really fabulous. That said, funds are limited. I reckon £500 is the maximum we could manage.

DH is big and we'd rather have something firm. I'm assuming pocket sprung is best. DH also gets very hot at night so I'm assuming memory foam is not good as I've heard it gets quite hot. I don't like the idea of sinking into something - I want to sleep on top of a mattress.

Any pointers much appreciated.

Prinpo Wed 17-Nov-10 18:46:13

Forgot my ? in thread title. Tusk.

pacita Sat 11-Jun-11 07:46:42

Bump. I want to buy a mattress too!

kellestar Thu 07-Jul-11 20:32:30

We tried to extend the life of our knackered mattress by buying a memory foam topper. We did expect it to be hot at this time of year, and it's not, surprisingly. We both hate being hot. I too am now biting the bullet and looking for a new mattress. Our last was coil sprung and was rubbish.

I have read that pocket springs is the way to go, 800 springs is bottom of the range, 2000 is top of the range, 1500 average. If you are over 15st, you are best off looking at between 1500-2000 to have a longer life mattress.

I am looking at a Pocket Sprung with a memory foam top. It's just searching around and finding prices. I have never heard of half of these companys that come up top in the google searches like mattressesworld, who seem to offer what we want for £350 in kingsize!! too good to be true?

Our last was coil sprung and was rubbish.

DH would rather buy a mattress through Argos, as he seems to think they are the best at everything hmm, but they don't offer anything pocketsprung with more than 1200 springs... and the prices always look much bigger than other mattress websites.

SagaciousCloud Fri 08-Jul-11 08:04:46

Dh is rather large and dreams of a pocket sprung mattress. In the mean time we bought a memory foam topper.

It is very very hot - so if you or your DH are naturally very hot in bed then memory foam will only make it worse.

DimDimmy Wed 10-Aug-11 20:42:54

Love love love our memory foam. It is so amazingly comfortable - DH and I used to just get on and off of it just so we could feel it moulding to us.

But I also find it way too hot - even on the winter I'm boiling. It's worth it for the comfort but definitely avoid if being hot is a problem for you.

My mum just bought a pocket sprung firm mattress and it is like sleeping on concrete so I'd suggest trying them out in somewhere like Dreams before buying anything.

maggiethecat Sat 20-Aug-11 01:17:54

vi spring mattress is the business - had ours for about 8 years and I've never had a bad night's sleep bcos of it.

Pricey but if you can afford it get it.

kellestar Sat 20-Aug-11 18:45:27

Okay we went to sleepmasters and dreams today to try out beds. In both shops we agreed on a pocketsprung with memory foam top. I have heard some really negative feedback about both companies. I just don't see any independant retailers in our area, John Lewis is a long trip for us, but we've heard good reviews on their beds. The pocketsprung mattress we really liked was 1440 springs and was a medium firm. DH likes his mattresses as hard as the floor, where I like a bit more softness for my lower back. Still not really made a decision, it puts you off when you hear lots of bad things when you think you may have chosen 'the' bed for you. Both companies have 10 year guarentees if your bed and mattress are bought together, but only 1 year if you buy a mattress on it's own.

mikeinsyd Fri 07-Oct-11 11:52:48

Message deleted by Mumsnet.

mish1801 Sun 16-Oct-11 20:25:17

I feel like I'm turning into an advert for natural mattresses as I've just posted in the kids section but I bought one for my kids from Yanis mattress and it was natural latex. I wish I hadn't already bought an expensive tempur one a few years ago as it's fantastic, really comfy. It's healthy as well as most mattresses are treated with loads of chemicals to keep up with stringent fire rules and this is covered in wool which is naturally fire retardent and is then covered in organic cotton - it's as thick as normal mattress and super comfy. If you're pregnant it's good as it's healthier and I guess even if you're not, better than breathing in chemicals. They do lots of other beds but I can only vouch for this one. I've just looked at price for double as it's £699 with 15 yr guarantee. I've never tried the double but the single is amazing. You may find it cheaper somewhere else but I shopped around heavily and this was the best place I found. I have no association with this company other than I bought one for my daughter last year and am now buying another for my son. If I can work on my other half I'll be getting one for me too - don't hold your breath for me I reckon i'll be given short shrift! My Tempur one was about 1200 for superking!

www.yanismattresses.co.uk/organic-latex-mattress.html

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now