Talk

Advanced search

Note: This topic is for discussing household goods. If you want to buy or sell household goods, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

IKEA GINGERBREAD HOUSE KITS

(16 Posts)
LOOBYLOU2 Wed 17-Nov-10 13:09:58

Hi has anyone been to Ikea recently?
Are they still doing these kits? I bought one last year and remember it being quite good and quite cheap. I want to give them as prizes in a xmas cake decorating comp at school Fayre and everywhere else seems to be quite expensive. Thanks

septembersong Wed 17-Nov-10 13:29:16

Yep, I was given one just the other day! Mind you, the box is a bit misleading, it shows a house beautifully decorated with icing, smarties, etc - but none of this is included!

domesticsluttery Wed 17-Nov-10 13:31:22

Dr Oetker do one too, it doesn't taste great but it does at least have all of the decorations included. Costs about £5 I think.

shongololo Wed 17-Nov-10 13:35:54

make your own!

DaftApeth Wed 17-Nov-10 13:44:31

What does the ikea kit contain and what do you need to buy to actually complete it?

Rosa Wed 17-Nov-10 13:48:11

I bought one last week ( ok in Italy) and I gave the box a good shake this time round to try to ensure no broken bits. Near the boxes were free printouts of how to make the icing to stick it together Mine was Euro2.99 so pretty cheap I think. It contains basically the 4 walls and the roof all cut out and you have to stick it together rather like the furniture.....

craftynclothy Wed 17-Nov-10 13:48:17

Yes, they still have them. Got one yesterday (£2.25 iirc).

It's true that they don't have all the decorative bits in but I quite liked that cos it means I can use what the kids like. In the Swedish shop bit they had some in a display cose showing different sweets being used to finish them off. Was some lovely ideas smile

LOOBYLOU2 Wed 17-Nov-10 13:50:38

I Would Shongolg but as I want to give it as a prize I want an "unmade" one in a box kit .... as Septembersong says they just include the gingerbread house frame - I bought the sweets and icing to decorate myself.
It was really easy to put together and actually tasted quite nice. I like their gingerbread hearts to hang on the tree too

ChippyMinton Wed 17-Nov-10 13:50:39

Lidl usually do kits with all the sweeties included - not sure how much, but very reasonable IIRC

AppleTreeWick Wed 17-Nov-10 13:51:39

You managed to make it???? Loobyloo2 you are a Goddess.

I bought it last year and after an afternoon of swearing and wailing (me) and stoic endurance (DC's) we made a cheesecake base.

How the Hell did you stick the walls together?
We tried icing. DD1 was up for using glue by the end.

Mind you it made a very nice cheesecake base.

LOOBYLOU2 Wed 17-Nov-10 14:07:28

I bought it because I decided it was something I was going to do every year with my dd1 ... something that she would look back on with a warm glow, a memory of childhood Christmas traditions with her patient and smiling Mummy ....... errr well in reality it was something more like the scene you describe Apple and she'd eaten half the sweets by the time I'd finished then wandered off bored...
But I used runny icing and the tube stuff to sort of cement it together and to the cake board.
But I've forgotten all that now and I'm going to do it again this year and even inflict it on others when I give them as prizes at the Christmas Fayre!

ChippyMinton Wed 17-Nov-10 15:00:00

Best thing to hold it together while the icing is drying are cocktail sticks.

AppleTreeWick Wed 17-Nov-10 16:32:30

Ahhhh runny icing and cocktail sticks combined thank you both I may be inspired to try again then.

Although the Christmasy memory I am probably creating in my DC's may well be an irrational fear/loathing of gingerbread.

ChippyMinton Wed 17-Nov-10 17:54:46

Also - assemble when the Dc are not about,let it set,and only then let them loose with the sweeties.

LtEveDallas Wed 17-Nov-10 17:57:50

Stick together with boiled sugar rather than icing, it works better I think (but keep DCs out of kitchen when doing it, it's bloody dangerous!)

littletreesmum Wed 17-Nov-10 18:00:51

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: