Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

History homework instructions don't make sense to me!!

(36 Posts)
cakedup Thu 05-Oct-17 19:59:44

DS is in Year 8. Am I missing something here? Because I really don't understand how DS is meant to do this homework. The homework is
to challenge David Hume's interpretation of Africans in 1748.

David Hume wrote one book in 1748. It is pages and pages of very intricate philosophical musings. I can't imagine any Year 8 understanding it, and having skimmed it I can't even find the part about Africans.

How are we meant to find his interpretation to challenge??

scootinFun Thu 05-Oct-17 20:01:33

Does It not say on the homework or was this based on in class discussion?

scootinFun Thu 05-Oct-17 20:04:04

Looks like bog standard racist drivel www.thecritique.com/articles/the-roots-of-modern-racism/

cakedup Thu 05-Oct-17 20:04:11

That's what I thought scootinFun. DS does have learning difficulties and may have missed something. But he swears he's never heard the teacher mention David Hume, nor was he given a piece of text to work from which I would expect.

Tinty Thu 05-Oct-17 20:04:49

If you google David Humes interpretation of Africans there is quite a bit of information which might help.

Whynotnowbaby Thu 05-Oct-17 20:06:33

I would assume they had read something or discussed this in class previously. If not it sounds like he hasn’t written it down fully and has missed out a reference to where the key info can be found. He needs to go and talk to his teacher in the morning and explain he doesn’t understand. I am a teacher and am always happy to give clarification if someone approaches me before the deadline. If it is due tomorrow then write a note to explain that you tried to help him but didn’t understand so please could he/she explain again and he will have it in for Monday.

Ttbb Thu 05-Oct-17 20:07:16

They would have probably covered it in class-is there a text book?

scootinFun Thu 05-Oct-17 20:07:32

Different Hume, this chap seems focussed on experience underpinning knowledge and that people are driven by passion.

cakedup Thu 05-Oct-17 20:07:41

I did come across that scootinFun and had a quick skim...but it's snippets of three different philosophers. DS has to write a PETER paragraph about this so I would imagine we would need a full body of text, written about Hume, on his interpretation of Hume.

Or have I just had a very long day and have no brain power left?

I'm on the verge of writing a slightly passive aggressive note to the teacher, it's not the first time her homework has been unclear. Last time, only 4 people managed to do the homework correctly.

LyndaLaHughes Thu 05-Oct-17 20:08:44

http://www.oxfordhandbooks.com/view/10.1093/oxfordhb/9780190236953.001.0001/oxfordhb-9780190236953-e-43

scootinFun Thu 05-Oct-17 20:09:09

Hmmmm I found a few articles - something to look into maybe?

cakedup Thu 05-Oct-17 20:09:32

Tinty I have googled it...but the instructions are to write a PETER paragraph on his text. I can't do that based on what other people are writing about Hume.

LyndaLaHughes Thu 05-Oct-17 20:10:37

So he basically has to argue with the point of view that Africans are inferior which is what Hume said. I presume he’s been given it as a task because it’s Black History Month.

cakedup Thu 05-Oct-17 20:10:56

Whynotnowbaby DS took a photo of the homework. It was exactly this:

Using the Peter paragraph technique.
How accurate is David Hume’s Interpretation of Africans?
1. David Hume wrote his interpretation of Africans in 1748. He believed that…
2. Some historians would argue Hume’s interpretation is inaccurate…
3. Another example from Great Zimbabwe to challenge Hume’s interpretation is…
4. In conclusion, I believe…

cakedup Thu 05-Oct-17 20:12:14

LyndaLaHughes yes it's for Black History month. But using the PETER paragraph technique, we I need quote him.

cakedup Thu 05-Oct-17 20:12:27

to quote him

Neolara Thu 05-Oct-17 20:12:41

What's a PETER paragraph? Sounds a rubbish homework if they haven't talked about it at school. Are you sure he wasn't given a couple of extracts to comment on? Can you email teacher to get her to explain further?

cakedup Thu 05-Oct-17 20:16:27

I found this small bit of text.

"“I am apt to suspect the Negroes, and in general all other species of men to be naturally inferior to the whites. There never was any civilized nation of any other complection than white, nor even any individual eminent in action or speculation.”

I guess we'll just go with that. If it's wrong she won't hesitate in giving him detention.

Honestly, I don't need this after a long bloody day.

Thanks so much for your help.

cakedup Thu 05-Oct-17 20:17:40

Neolara tell me about it! A PETER paragraph (had to look it up myself!) is
Point - get it across
Evidence to support your point
Technique – what technique di d author use
Explain – why technique is good or bad
Reader – how does this affect reader and make them feel

cakedup Thu 05-Oct-17 20:18:43

Neolara homework is due in tomorrow sad

Sorry about my grumpiness, I just wanted an early night and it's not going to happen.

Fernanie Thu 05-Oct-17 20:26:04

As far as I understand it, the assignment is to answer the question "How accurate is Hume's interpretation?" (answer: it's not)
So you need to apply the PETER technique to expound on your answer of 'it's not'.
The point is: his interpretation is not accurate
Evidence: some evidence for why people of different races have equal value
Technique: how Hume arrived at his idea (probably influenced by ideas of the time, his own superiority complex etc)
Explain: this technique is bad because it's not based on anything solid, just the (chageable, subjective) social attitudes of the period.
Reader: get your DS to talk about how it makes him feel.

That's how I would approach it, but it doesn't take into account this bit:
*1. David Hume wrote his interpretation of Africans in 1748. He believed that…
2. Some historians would argue Hume’s interpretation is inaccurate…
3. Another example from Great Zimbabwe to challenge Hume’s interpretation is…
4. In conclusion, I believe…*
Which seems unrelated to both the question and the PETER technique.
Really weird assignment!

dementedpixie Thu 05-Oct-17 20:29:38

Yes I found this too:

I am apt to suspect the negroes and in general all other species of men (for there are four or five different kinds) to be naturally inferior to the whites. There never was a civilized nation of any other complexion than white, nor even any individual eminent either in action or speculation. No ingenious manufactures amongst them, no arts, no sciences. On the other hand, the most rude and barbarous of the whites, such as the ancient GERMANS, the present TARTARS, have still something eminent about them in their valour, form of government, or some other particular. Such a uniform and constant differences could not happen in so many countries and ages, if nature had not made an original distinction betwixt these breeds of men. Not to mention our colonies, there are Negroe slaves dispersed all over Europe, of which none ever discovered any symptoms of ingenuity, tho' low people, without education, will start up amonst us, and distinguish themselves in every profession. In JAMAICA indeed they talk of one negroe as a man of parts and learning; but 'tis likely he is admired for very slender accomplishments like a parrot, who speaks a few words plainly.

cakedup Thu 05-Oct-17 20:31:35

Fernanie right? Thank you for articulating it, it really helps me to realise I'm not just being daft here! I feel like there is a big piece of the jigsaw missing here. I don't even get no. 3 "Another example from Great Zimbabwe..." What other example? Of what?

cakedup Thu 05-Oct-17 20:32:49

Oh great dementedpixie, thank you, you found some more text which is useful. The homework still doesn't make sense to me though.

Bobbins43 Thu 05-Oct-17 20:35:29

Fucking hell, HUME for Year 8?! That seems a bit excessive. I didn’t look at Hume until philosophy a-level...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now