Talk

Advanced search

How much homework in Year 1?

(21 Posts)
peacefuleasyfeeling Wed 02-Dec-15 22:29:45

Just curious. DD1 probably spends 45 mins every day on hers (and it's clearly not enough as she's yet to score more than 3/10 on her spelling tests grin ). She's expected to do reading, spellings, spend allocated time on an on-line maths games subscription website as well as a set of topic based projects to be undertaken and submitted each term. She goes along with it and we have fun doing it (though I can think of so many others things I'd rather do with her), but most of my friends' kids don't have anything close to this expectation. Spellings also seem to vary massively between friends' children; dd has words like bridge, month, much, naughty, shirt. I'd understand it if she was clearly very able, but she's quite average I think. But perhaps that is what is expected of average in term 2? They group according to ability and she's somewhere in the middle.
How much homework does your Year 1 child do?

SheHasAWildHeart Thu 03-Dec-15 13:01:41

DD is in Year 3, she gets a set of 12 spellings for the whole week. The teacher has then on a sheet paper in a table, for them to practice at least 5 times. They also have to pick 5 of their spelling words and write a detailed sentence for each. They also get one other worksheet, alternates between literacy and numeracy. A reading book each week. And that's it! They also have access to an app for maths and spelling, but there isn't an allocated time for this.
However, DD attends tuition and gets a lot of homework from there so usually in all does spend 30 mins a day doing homework. If she misses a day we just catch up on the weekend.
45 mins every day for Year 1 sounds a bit much.

uhoh1973 Thu 17-Mar-16 07:58:01

Are you in North london? This is madness for Yr1. Our child attends after school sports which takes til about 5pm then we have tea, 20mins tv, bath, reading and bed by 7pm. I have no clue how you are meant to fit all that homework. DC reads to me every evening and learns 6 spellings a week. It's enough for Yr1.

Sirzy Thu 17-Mar-16 08:00:47

Ds is year 1, he has a reading book which is changed as and when it is finished, he reads every night but I know a lot of his peers don't!

Every Friday he gets a sheet with some phonics Related words and sentences to write and practise - no test though.

On a Friday he also gets an overview of what the maths topic will be the next week with some ideas of activities we can do st home to support that.

Occasionally we will get a short topic based bit of work to do.

There is never any pressure to do it though, or to do a certain amount.

RosieTheQueenOfCorona Thu 17-Mar-16 08:12:35

DD is in Yr1, she gets one maths and one English worksheet every day which take about 10 minutes each to complete. Plus a list of about six or seven spelling words on a Monday which she needs to learn by Friday, also of the 'bridge, month, shirt' variety. Plus she is encouraged to do 15 minutes reading every night, though we skip this if she is too tired and read to her instead.

FreeSpirit89 Wed 06-Apr-16 09:34:27

My DS gets three reading books a week. A learning one for him to read. A book corner one for us both. And a library book for me to read to/with him depending on the words and level.

He gets one set of spellings a week, with three words on. We do that every evening. So I'd say about half an hour a day on homework.

Our school also gives us a PIP book (parents in partnership) which has a list of there topic for that term. We have to pick five activities to do throughout the term then it goes back in at the end.

DessertOrDesert Wed 06-Apr-16 09:59:21

Year 2. 18 spellings, and reading book changed when finished.
Optional stuff sent linked to class work, but by no means essential to keep up in class (we do most unless a busy week of after school stuff gets in the way).
over Easter we have been asked to keep a diary, and review any books read.

YR gets reading books.

Balletgirlmum Wed 06-Apr-16 10:04:34

In year 1 (private school) the children read for 5-10 mins every night, had spellings (5-10 mins max) then on Friday had a worksheet that took about 10-15 mins to be handed in on the following Monday.

luellabelle Tue 17-May-16 14:35:15

I maths sheet, one English sheet and 2 reading books. Private school. It's ample

lesshaste Mon 13-Jun-16 16:54:57

No homework to speak of in KS1 (years 1 and 2) at our school. Every now and then a sheet of words is sent home that it is suggested our child learns to spell but that's it.

We are also encouraged to read with our child every day.

TeacherBob Sat 15-Oct-16 22:19:10

45 minutes for homework for year 1 is way too much

Note3 Sat 15-Oct-16 22:26:58

I x Love to Learn challenge every 3 weeks.
Around 10 mins reading every night

When my eldest was in Yr 2 she had Love to Learn every 2 wks, reading every night and one lost of spellings per week.

Now she's in yr 3 she so far has a Love to Learn challenge every wk and reading every night

Loulou2kent Sat 15-Oct-16 22:30:33

DS in year 1 gets spellings every week so practice everynight, handwriting, 30 maths questions online, 10-15 mins reading everynight & a project every term takes about 1hr in all id say.

AnneGables Sat 15-Oct-16 22:32:24

Ds is in y1, he gets 10 spellings a week and a reading book a day. Plus a maths and English task every weekend, which takes a max of 30 mins.

RiverTam Sat 15-Oct-16 22:35:28

45 minutes? Hells bells. You know that homework in primary isn't proven to have any effecton outcome at all, don't you?

At the beginning of each half term they're given a sheet with 8 home works pertaining to their topic. 3 are compulsory, thes rest do as many or as few as you like. Half a term to do them in. Plus reading books.

Only1scoop Sat 15-Oct-16 22:37:00

Dd is in year two now but gets about the same as last year.
Reading to be done daily

10 spellings to learn for weekly test

A maths and English homework sheet every Friday....
No where near 45 mins worth

TellMeStraight Sat 15-Oct-16 22:37:50

Whatever sort of school is this OP?! 45mins every day?!! That's insane.

DD in year 1 last year had nightly reading (5 minutes) to do and one weekly spelling test (5 mins prep morning before test).

Now in year 2 she's only got one lot of weekly maths homework taking about 20mins.

Private school btw.

idontlikealdi Sat 15-Oct-16 22:42:31

DTs are year 1 and I think they have too much, yours sounds ludicrous.

We have reading every day, ten spellings a week with a test, a couple of maths work sheets Monday to Thursday. Last weekend they had 100 addition sums. This weekend nothing, because the majority of parents complained.

I work full time, as does DH. Grandparents aren't great at doing homework and reading they do one or the other and the chances of doing it when I get in at 7 are zero. They only turned 5 at the end of August, it's bonkers.

madamginger Sat 15-Oct-16 22:48:29

Ds2 is in year1 and he gets 10 spellings a week plus 1 or 2 reading books.
He also has a project to do but he's given 4 weeks to do it. This half term he had to design a house. hmm
We are given a copy of all that half terms spellings at the beginning of the term, so I know what to practice each week

queenofthepirates Sat 15-Oct-16 22:49:00

Four spellings a week which is fine. No testing though, just gentle encouragement.

Heathen4Hire Sat 15-Oct-16 22:50:09

When my DD was in year one, 15 mins either reading, tiny bit of maths, or spelling. Your DD has way too much.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now