Talk

Advanced search

help!!! Design an IT interface

(5 Posts)
peppansalt Tue 06-Oct-15 17:11:18

Year 6 DS in tears. Got to design a basic IT interface for homework, due in tomorrow.
Only just remembered it was due in and doesn't even know what an interface is or how to go about designing one!

I am going to speak to his teacher but in meantime can anyone more techy than me explain what an interface is and how a child could design one (on paper).

TIA

CultureSucksDownWords Tue 06-Oct-15 17:19:00

An interface is how a person uses a computer program, so it would usually be a design for a screen, which needs to do something specific. You'll need more information on what kind of task the interface is for - a screen for doing word processing would be very different to a screen for filling out a form. Are there any more instructions?

peppansalt Tue 06-Oct-15 17:39:02

Thanks Culture.... Have checked DS' planner and it literally says "design an IT interface"! confused

CultureSucksDownWords Tue 06-Oct-15 17:43:06

Ok, if she has no more instructions then I would design an interface for something specific that you choose. So maybe an interface for a phone or a games console, where you clearly state what the interface is for.

Does she remember anything about the lesson itself that might give a clue what sort of interface might be required?

cdtaylornats Wed 07-Oct-15 13:20:27

An interface is the points where two things interact - this could be a person and a piece of software or between two pieces of software, for example if you cut and paste between two programs then the cut and paste operation is an interface.

I would do something simple - remember the old game Simon where you had to press combinations of colours. That would be an easy interface for a touch screen.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now