(8 Posts)
Ihavenobrain Sun 07-Dec-14 18:22:34

What does the following mean?
Create a a word/phrase bank to use in your writing

fusspot66 Sun 07-Dec-14 18:26:40

8 yo DD and I dont know.
Bump for you.

misssmapp Sun 07-Dec-14 18:30:57

As a teacher, I might ask children to use a text ( of the genre we are focusing on ) to create a bank of words to use in their writing.

Does your dc know what type of writing they are working on. So if it is , adventure stories, they would need to write a bank of words they would use in an adventure story. Does that make sense?

It is no good without the writing they are focused on though.

fuzzpig Sun 07-Dec-14 18:31:09

If they have been given a topic to write about I guess it means words they might want to use? Like if they were writing about Egypt they might use words like pyramid, pharaoh etc?

Or maybe 'wow words' (as my DCs and DSCs have called them at school) - adjectives/adverbs etc that liven up writing.

What else does the homework task say?

TheFirstOfHerName Sun 07-Dec-14 18:35:17

I can give you an example that my children have done recently. They were asked to write a suspense story. The word bank included: murky, sombre, sinister, gloomy, etc.

december12 Sun 07-Dec-14 18:36:22

I don't know if that's what it was called but I definitely had a list of phrases that I could insert into almost any piece of (French) writing to get extra marks when I was doing O-level. is it something like that?

i.e. I knew that including two different ways to show speech got me bonus marks.

capsium Sun 07-Dec-14 18:36:23

Some interesting adjectives would do, I would have thought. Try some synonyms for over used words like 'nice', 'big', 'little', 'nasty' and different words for colours such as vermillion, scarlet, crimson, is useful for any descriptive writing.

Ihavenobrain Sun 07-Dec-14 18:43:02

This is great thank you. It makes perfect sense now. It is as I thought grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now