Talk

Advanced search

can I de-reg my dcs from a particular school...

(3 Posts)
LillyTant Mon 09-Nov-09 10:36:53

...while they are on the waiting list for another school?

We are going to take our children out of the primary school they're currently in at the end of this term, and intend to HE till they get to the top of the waiting list of another local school in a neighbouring borough which suits our family much, much more. We have no idea how long this will take, and are more than happy to HE in the meantime(who knows, we might find we like it so much that we decide to carry on doing it smile).

My question is- I have seen the suggested de-registering letter on the Education Otherwise site. If I opt my kids out of their school like this, does it mean that they can still stay on the waiting list for the other school? Or am I opting out of all state education, and I would need to formally "opt in" again?

Any help very much appreciated!

AMumInScotland Mon 09-Nov-09 12:03:28

Technically, when you dereg them, it's only from that specific school - you are removing them from the school register.

However, I think it would be a good idea to then get in touch with the people at the new school, or the LEA, to make sure they know you still want to be on the waiting list for a place there. Just because otherwise, people at the LEA might decide to assume you won't want the place at the other school any more. They shouldn't assume that, but they might, so it's always safer to get in touch and make yourself clear.

HTH!

LillyTant Tue 10-Nov-09 11:10:57

thanks mum wink

that's really useful and I shall do as you suggest-

now my Plan is coming together

<rubs hands gleefully>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now