Talk

Advanced search

Need pointing in the right direction.

(4 Posts)
kittybrown Fri 06-Nov-09 10:14:15

Hi there as the title says I need a little direction.
We don't HE although it is in the back of my mind as my ds does not get on with his primary. He's year 6, bright and willful and ready for high school in every way. He has a minor processing problem when it come to maths, he really can't do verbal instructions. What I'm looking for are maths resources for his age and slightly higher that he can teach himself with.
Can any of you helpful people point me in the right direction?

Tinuviel Fri 06-Nov-09 20:33:16

We use *Galore Park* textbooks for various things including maths. They are aimed at the prep school market and therefore cover year 6-8. They also do a junior range of books for 7-10 year olds.

They are very rigorous but pretty clear - my boys just work through on their own until they hit something they don't understand then come and ask me!

The year 6 book is called "So You Really Want to Learn Maths 1" and you can buy an answer book as well so he can mark his own work and --you don't have to do anything-- become really independent in his working!

An online alternative is www.conquermaths.com which is for secondary maths and takes them up to GCSE. Some schools subscribe to it but you can join as an individual instead. The man speaking on the tutorials has a very sexy friendly voice!

Tinuviel Fri 06-Nov-09 20:34:22

you don't have to do anything
was supposed to be crossed out. It worked on the other one!

--you don't have to do anything--

kittybrown Sun 08-Nov-09 09:40:42

Thanks for that Tinuviel. He is a very independent worker which causes trouble at his primary! Those books sound ideal.
Thank you again.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now