Talk

Advanced search

can you home ed and still work or send child to childminder 2 mornings

(5 Posts)
pinkkoala Wed 28-Oct-09 13:11:10

do any home ed parents work part time as well as teaching at home.

are you allowed to send child to childminder for 1 day or two mornings.

anybody know if there are any jobs where you can work from home.

Tinuviel Wed 28-Oct-09 13:32:10

Yes, I do!! I work as a teacher 2 days a week. My OH works compressed hours so his 37 hours are done in 4 rather than 5 days so he covers one day and we have someone come in and look after them every Friday. She is great - does cooking and sewing with them as well as overseeing any bits they haven't finished for the week and she irons the children's clothes! She is a godsend.

There is no reason why your child can't go to a childminder - there is nothing to say what days of the week you have to home educate and no definition of full-time either. You may find that you can fit everything into 4 days anyway. It will depend on how structured/autonomous you are but even with structured home ed, you could set a little work to be done while at the childminder's. It depends on how old your child is as well.

pinkkoala Wed 28-Oct-09 14:08:07

my dd is going to be 5yrs old in dec, i have only recently started home ed but am finding it a struggle as i have always worked up until a yr ago.

i wouldn't mind a little job, say about 10-15hrs a week but not sure what to do, i have always worked for a large credit card company, but feel i want something less pressurised and target based.

i am studying for a c & g in travel and tourism at the mo.

will childminders take children over 5yrs for a full day.

Tinuviel Wed 28-Oct-09 15:02:40

There are some home edders who childmind as well. So yes, it is possible to find a 'home ed friendly' childminder.

musicposy Fri 30-Oct-09 17:22:28

Yes, I teach at home. I teach piano and I tutor a few children in maths. It works really well for us. The only downside is that 3 days a week (I have 3 teaching days, sometimes quite crammed) I don't have the freedom to do stuff with the girls, so I think they sometimes miss out on some great home ed stuff going on. The upside is that, because it's from home, I don't need childcare, though mine are 10 and 13 and more than capable of getting on on their own.

I have a home ed friend who both home educates and is a registered childminder. Most of her mindees are schooled, but she has had home schooled children. She is so brilliant with all her mindees that I am always left thinking that what she does with her schooled mindees in their holidays is probably more educational than school - whilst being great fun! So a good childminder would possibly tick the education box for you too, in an informal way.

Other jobs from home; I know people who take in ironing, do hairdressing, work as herbalists or other alternative healthcare, do avon rounds or host book/ cookware/ beauty parties. I'm guessing you would need training for some of these. If you're really desperate, there's always telephone sales!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now