Talk

Advanced search

Deadline for Home Education Consultation: Oct 19

(7 Posts)
babyowl Thu 15-Oct-09 16:03:17

Hi everyone,

Just in case folks wanted to comment, I came across this...

http://www.dcsf.gov.uk/consultations/index.cfm?action=consultationDetails&consultationId= 1643&external=no&menu=1

And just in case the link doesn't work, go the the consultations homepage of DCSF. It's the last one at the bottom of the page.

ommmward Thu 15-Oct-09 19:28:19

And with the caveat that in the consultation there, 'registration' is Orwellian doublespeak for 'licensing'

what the dcsf want is for home educators to have to apply for permission to home educate every year, and for LAs to graciously grant that permission to people they approve of. They want us to have to give detailed plans of what our children will be learning in the next year, and will then measure the children's performance against those plans. Somewhat difficult (impossible) to reconcile with an education approach which responds flexibly to the changing interests and needs of the child.

I answered "no" to every single question. Reasons to do that are summarised here

ommmward Thu 15-Oct-09 19:31:21

Oh, so... what it would mean would be that the State would take onto itself the responsibility for providing an education to every child, delegating it to parents of whom the LA staffers approve (and woe-betide you if you are wanting to home educate and are muslim gay christian --steiner-leaning-- --montessori-inspired-- --autonomous-leaning-- --like the wrong kind of curriculum-- --single parent-- disabled --children with SEN-- traveller romany whatever prejudice the LA staffers hold dear)

ommmward Thu 15-Oct-09 19:31:54

Bah to that pathetic attempt at crossing out all the things in the list

chatterbocs Thu 15-Oct-09 21:14:17

Do they think child abusers will obey the law & register or something??

And how will they measure the children's performance?

The only outcomes I will put on my detailed plans are that they are still happy & acheiving according to their ability & not what some bloke in a white collar thinks they should acheive!

ommmward Thu 15-Oct-09 23:45:59

...and you may well be denied the opportunity of home edding if some numpty thinks that you should be providing a weekly lesson plan for the whole year in advance, chatterbocs. I mean, heaven forfend and everything, but this is what the "registration" (= licensing) plans amount to.

onlinemum Mon 19-Oct-09 12:05:18

today's the last day for this - we've got until 23.45 to get responses in.

Please, if you haven't responded so far, do consider whether the freedom of the parent to choose a suitable form of education for their child is important or not. Because this is what the consultation boils down to, our freedom to choose.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now