Talk

Advanced search

interesting home schooling article in Salon

(3 Posts)
Maria2007 Thu 01-Oct-09 14:29:46

Hi, I know almost nothing about HE but I came across this very interesting (and well written, I think) article in Salon. here.

What do you think? Would love to hear your views on whether what's described in the article is a bit idealized or whether it is a good depiction of what the reality of home ed can be...

julienoshoes Thu 01-Oct-09 14:42:40

'She told me that one of her daughters was asleep at noon, because she'd been up all night studying the constellations," Bayer remembers. "Another one was across the street taking soil samples from a vacant lot that she was convinced was contaminated with toxic waste, and a third one was someplace in the house curled up with a book."'

YES

"it is a good depiction of what the reality of home ed can be... "

This is what the realities of home education looks like to me and the vast majotity of families I know.

CommonNortherner Fri 02-Oct-09 14:16:03

That you were curious about it being idealised led me to believe it might have been, but it was actually just normal and to me, quite mundane! I am surprised at my own reaction, it's interesting how quickly this has become my normality!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now