Talk

Advanced search

Does anyone here HE and WOH part time?

(10 Posts)
TAFKAtheUrbanDryad Sun 27-Sep-09 10:09:41

Hi, we're looking at HE for our dc (2.8 and 7 months) as an option. I will be going back to work in March, and ds will be at preschool then hoping to HE at the point when he would be going into Reception - our county has a "rising 5" policy, but he is a Jan baby so would be just 4.

I work 3 days a week, and our original plan was for ds and dd to be looked after by a friend on the days I'm at work. However, I'm getting a little bit stressed at the thought that she will need to be OFSTED'd and CRB'd etc.

What do other WOHM do? I could give up work, but I love my job, and it's important for me to feel like I have a life outside of kids and HE. I know I'm thinking about this early, but I'd like to have the details ironed out before I go back to work.

TIA.

ommmward Sun 27-Sep-09 17:59:21

Some have a WOHM and a SAHD.

Some have both parents working part time, with the other parent looking after when the one is working

Some have an informal arrangement with friends. By the time it's relevant for you, we will no longer (please God) have the loony statist new labour government who are treating such arrangements as illegal.

TAFKAtheUrbanDryad Sun 27-Sep-09 19:37:27

SAHD not an option for us as dh is the main earner and I don't have anywhere near his earning potential. sad

ommmward Sun 27-Sep-09 21:24:32

Any chance of flexitime for one or both of you?

Grandparents/other relatives to do childcare while you work part time?

TAFKAtheUrbanDryad Mon 28-Sep-09 10:31:06

We've got no family nearby, sadly. I think we may go with my friend being my "half-sister" but it feels wrong to tell such a blatant lie - and if anyone quizzes me on it I'll stutter and blush and be found out in an instant.

Flexitime not an option for me as i work in retail and have to be available 9-5, and dh's company are a shower of pricks who phoned him while I was in labour with dd to ask him to work! hmm Who knows, though, by the time we get to the stage where it's an issue, he'll have a new job. Or we'll have won the lottery...

Fecking OFSTED. We'll need to be CRB checked to look after our own children soon. angry

Hando Fri 02-Oct-09 20:01:07

TAFK - So you would want to HE your kids, your DP would be in F/T work and you in part time? You would find childcare for them 3 days a week and that leaves 2 days a week to "educate".

I do not HE at the moment, but I am looking into it as a serious possibility - my dd is 5 (in year 1).

Lots of people have said to me that they think HE'ed children need a parent at home full time - I do not agree. I think I could teach my child more in 2/3 days a week 1:1 than a teacher can in 5 days a week 1:30 ratio! I have researched a little and found there are childminders who specifically work with HE families. They will informally do some "work" with your children whilst they are in their care and you are at work.
I think you'll be fine! HE shouldn't only be accessable to those who have the luxury of being able to afford a full time SAHP!

ommmward Fri 02-Oct-09 20:42:00

hang on, if the urbandryad is working 3 days a week, that leaves FOUR days totally free to be with the children, and of course all the parts of the other three days when not at work.

home education absolutely does not have to happen monday to friday in school hours!!!! (and a good thing too, considering what time we all woke up this morning after a mega day yesterday)

If you're in retail, dryad, you could always consider having saturday as one of your days, when your oh could be with the children. That would give only two days per week where you needed 9-5 child care.

If you ask on your local home ed email lists, you'll find people who know of HE friendly child minders. They certainly exist

Hando Fri 02-Oct-09 22:03:48

Of course ommmward - see I've yet to put my HE'ers hat on! 4 days left!

JDibdab Sat 07-Nov-09 14:24:29

Hi, I have recently taken my son out from mainstream to home ed as things got so bad for him. He has aspergers, ADHD, aensory integration disorder, anxiety and learning difficulties. I am a childminder working from home so I combine both and it is working ok at present

Tinuviel Sun 08-Nov-09 14:15:49

I work 2 days as a teacher so cover 3 days. My DH works compressed hours so does 37 hours in 4 days and covers 1 day. We have a nanny who we know through church who comes to us - so no need for OFSTED to be involved - and she is a godsend. She does cooking and sewing with them; supervises them while they finish off any work not completed with DH and me; and on top of that irons the children's clothes. We find that even being pretty structured, we still get through everything with 3 of them.

Would you have the option to reduce your hours to 2 days? If one was a Saturday, you would then only need cover for 1 day a week. You could always do Sundays as well if money was short or on an occasional basis.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now