Talk

Advanced search

Initial LEA Meeting? - Advisable or not?

(20 Posts)
mrswoolf Wed 19-Aug-09 22:27:45

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

mrswoolf Wed 19-Aug-09 22:28:26

Pandoraneedsbugs Wed 19-Aug-09 23:00:14

Hi MrsWoolf - I am expecting a doorstep call from the local EWO in september/october as well
Mine were at school until July - I am about to "write the letter" as they wont be returning in September. I know my local LEA is a fan of unannounced visits!

If they arrive unannounced I will tell them to make an appointment should they wish to visit us - Im not to fussed whether they visit but I want to know in advance!!!!

A few questions from me just to clarify what you mean!
Did your kids attend school in the past?
Have you written to the school + possibly the LEA as well to officially withdraw them?

mrswoolf Thu 20-Aug-09 00:36:59

dailymailIsPerfectAsaPoopScoop Thu 20-Aug-09 00:48:00

At the moment you are still quite entitled to refuse a home visit.

How old are your dc mrswolf? Was interested in how they have suddenly taken an interest now and not before if you have been doing it for some time.

Pandora - you only need inform the school in writing, not the LEA, The school will do that and also it gives you more time before you have any contact with the LEA if left up t the school to inform them.

We were left alone for 6 months, and i refused a visit. Only accepting one the following year after i had spoken to the chap on the tlephone and as he was really relaxed and friendly I agreed to a visit. He will be in touch again after a further year.

mrswoolf Thu 20-Aug-09 01:43:56

AMumInScotland Thu 20-Aug-09 09:55:42

I think, personally, I'd not want to have meetings with anyone who thought it was reasonable to turn up unannounced and then misrepresent the law about HE. I wouldn't even want to speak to them on the phone, but would keep everytihing in writing. That way, you have a record of everything that has been said on either side.

knat Thu 20-Aug-09 10:37:53

we started HE in March and the school infomred the LEA. We had a pre=arranged visit from the WElfare Officer the week after we left school which was fine. We then had written contact from the LEA with a questionnaire to complete which we did and a furtehr letter requesting a visit which happened about 3 weeks ago. Fortunately I've found our LEA very helpful and supportive and constantly get emails with information about things going on etc.

Teh visit was fine - we just talked generally and he had a look at some of the work we had been doing and was very pleased. He did say they weren't there to assess just to se an education was being provided but at the end of the visit he did have to give a rating which we got the top in (exceeding expectations) which was a great relief!!! and will visit agin in 12 months time.

HOpe this helps a little

ommmward Thu 20-Aug-09 13:29:36

you know what?

I think you should write up an account of your dealings with these people, naming names left right and centre, and send it to the commons select committee in the next week or so. Say that of course you aren't asking t hem to do anything about it, but say "given the failure of these LA staff to communicate honestly about the law as it stands, and their failure to act within it, I am enormously concerned about the Badman recommendations that they should be given more powers. These are not people who have earned my trust as a law abiding member of the public"

I really do think this is the sort of thing the politicians in Westminster need to start hearing about.

mrswoolf Thu 20-Aug-09 14:33:46

Kayteee Thu 20-Aug-09 15:54:00

Hi Mrswoolf,

I would stick to demanding everything in writing. This makes me soooo fecking angry.

<deep breathe>......

I get this from time to time and I insist on
written communication only. You could actually make a formal complaint to your local Council (where are you btw)? and state that you are being harrassed.

They simply do not have the powers, yet sad, to do this to families.

When you write to them ask them to quote you the section of the Education Act which states that they can do this. They won't be able to answer because it simply isn't law. Keep asking them to quote you this as, only then, would you consider meeting up with them...grrrrrrr angry

It sometimes puts them off.

dailymailIsPerfectAsaPoopScoop Thu 20-Aug-09 18:07:30

mrswolf - our visit was no problem. He just chatted about DS day to day life, I remained in the room at all times as DS didnt want to speak to him without me there and they ended up jamming away on the guitar and having a joke about various things.

We showed him some of DS maths work and he seemed impressed. He asked about his social life, when he saw other children, what hobbies he had etc. He noted some things down on a form then showed me which was much the same as we had spoken about.

He had a coffee and went all within 30 mins or so. A couple of weeks later we had a letter saying he enjoyed meeting us and that DS was a very pleasant young man and that there were absolutely no issues and perhaps they could give us a call in about a year and see if we would like to meet again.

HTH

CarGirl Thu 20-Aug-09 18:17:11

As someone who doesn't HE (I have not issues with anyone doing so btw) I think you need to write to the powers that be along the line of "whilst I have no issue with the LEA wanting to meet with us to ensure that xxx is receiving an adequate eduction I am sure you can understand that I do not wish to have strangers turning up unnanounced on my doorstop who are ill informed and prejudiced against HE"

amend this to whatever the issue is that you have with them coming unannounced. I think you have to be careful to not come across as someone trying to hide something? There is a minority out there who withdraw their dc so that their children can go undected and necglected so their does need to be some sort of contact between the powers that be and HE children & parents.

ommmward Thu 20-Aug-09 19:33:21

"There is a minority out there who withdraw their dc so that their children can go undected and necglected"

errrr... that's a bit of a hot topic...

Somewhat serious allegation. If people withdraw their already-neglected children from school to "HE" them meaning instead to neglect and abuse them while hiding them, then the school should surely have spotted warning signs and the case already be in the hands of SS?

To say "their does need to be some sort of contact between the powers that be and HE children & parents." - assuming you mean in-person safe and well checks - means that you are suggesting that ALL HEing families should be treated as under suspicion of abusing their children and investigated. Even worse, investigated not by social workers who are trained in dealing with frightened children, but by a bunch of LA education department numpties.

I really hope I have misunderstood and over reacted to your post!

CarGirl Thu 20-Aug-09 21:54:18

Yes you have ommmward because if a child never attends school and a parent is abusing them then how does any "official" type person ever come into contact with that child, they will never be taken to do a dr etc will they?

I don't agree with the way HE families are treated with by LA/the government/ Let's face it the money spent on checking up on them could be put to much better use couldn't it? It's the whole issue of a nanny state, social services can't win, but yes the thought of LA numpties checking up on a part welfare basis is laughable because they clearly don't know the law.

Still I think the way to deal with a LA is to win them over rather than being confrontational especially if your dealing with numpties who appear to have another agenda.

mrswoolf Thu 20-Aug-09 23:01:46

CarGirl Thu 20-Aug-09 23:04:45

hopefully now you've taken the initiative to contact the HE manager they will start doing everything by the book!

ommmward Fri 21-Aug-09 09:32:08

"if a child never attends school and a parent is abusing them then how does any "official" type person ever come into contact with that child, they will never be taken to do a dr etc will they?"

No, you're absolutely right. Those children, as the current law stands, are going to fall through the net. Unfortunately, if compulsory visits and having to apply for annual LA approval to HE comes in, as Ed Balls and co are trying to push through, then those children will, well, fall through the net. THeir parents will simply move house sometime after the birth of the child and never register them as HEed. They will be as truly hidden as they are now.

The ONLY way to guarantee that the wellbeing of every child is known by the State is to compulsorily take every child into State 'Care'.

It's awful to think that there might be a tiny minority of children being hidden and horribly abused, but changing the law so that lots and lots of money is spent on monitoring the well meaning and law abiding won't help them at all.

CarGirl Fri 21-Aug-09 13:14:21

ommmward I couldn't agree more, I think the proposals are a waste of time, money and resources - the current education systems fails so many children and they should be focusuing on changing that.

I was merely trying to look at where the LA are coming from, get them onside then hopefully they'll leave you in the peace you deserve. I'd hate to see the UK become like Germany where HE is illegal. I think the HE have to think tactically to win the war rather than be confrontational and win the battle at the loss of the war IYSWIM.

I try not to think too hard about the UK education because it is so lacking but I'm not sure which countries have actually got it right?

ommmward Fri 21-Aug-09 13:38:51

now I understand you thank you!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now