Talk

Advanced search

Bless my in-laws!

(4 Posts)
robberbutton Sun 02-Aug-09 23:19:05

They've never been exactly pro-HE. We've only had one conversation with them about it, nearly two years ago now I think, that got a little heated with them coming up with nearly every single classic argument in the book.

Since then, DS has got old enough to go to nursery, and we haven't sent him... and it's never been mentioned, even though they see him at least once a week, lol. Not up for a ruck, we've just let it lie.

Then the other week DH and his dad went out for a meal, and as they were driving back FiL starts up another conversation about it, are we still thinking of doing it, they're a bit worried, what if DS never learns to listen to anyone but me (??!!!). Anyway, he brings it up so there's about 30 seconds left of the evening, and no time for DH to go into it properly.

So the next time DH sees his dad he gives him a copy of School is not Compulsory by Education Otherwise. I thought that at least it would get the basic concerns out of the way and it's got a few case studies etc in there (I don't think they know many HEing families).

Anyway, so we go over there for lunch today and, with still no mention of the dreaded "H" word whatsoever, MiL shows me some bits that she's bought for DS when they take him to the beach for a few days next week. She's got some Usbourne "first word" flash cards and two begining maths books!

Bless them. I didn't have the heart to say that we weren't doing anything formal yet (DS is not yet 4), it's just amazing that they're showing willing. I'll just have to pray that a few days of rigerous academics with the grandparents won't scar him for his academic life! grin

Cadelaide Sun 02-Aug-09 23:22:43

How refreshing, nay wonderful, to read something positive about in-laws on here.

They sound lovely.

Kayteee Sun 02-Aug-09 23:41:47

Sweet! As you say, bless 'em for at least trying to be supportive. Quite rare, ime.

Greensleeves Sun 02-Aug-09 23:44:11

I think that's lovely - and even lovelier that you are able to see the good in the gesture and take it as it was meant.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now