Talk

Advanced search

Interesting American take on the Badman! Very long.

(8 Posts)
Kayteee Wed 15-Jul-09 20:22:12

this is really long but worth reading and passing on

Yurtgirl Thu 16-Jul-09 09:44:14

That looks interesting Kaytee - I will have a read later

Isnt it Badman a terribly unfortunate name in this context - for a long time I innocently thought Badman was a name HEs had given him to show their disgust!

I am sorry to say I havent done any of the protest stuff yet - letterwriting, email etc blush I should shouldnt I

Priorities priorities - what is the best thing I could do to help you you know?

Yurtgirl Thu 16-Jul-09 09:46:36

Oh and btw I told the school yesterday that assuming I am alive and well and sane on 1 September they could expect a letter from me - but NOT my children

Hurrah!

Ds class will have supply until January anyway - which he would utterly detest so it is just as well really

nettie Thu 16-Jul-09 09:56:39

Contact your MP, if possible go to see them.

Kayteee Thu 16-Jul-09 10:21:02

Hi Yurtgirl,

join here to get an idea of what's being done out there in cyberspace

It's a Yahoo group and we're all trying to do our bit, however small smile

zazizoma Thu 16-Jul-09 11:24:36

For those who want the summary, here it is . . .

The Badman report:

1. Failed to give a full, fair, and accurate description of the current law governing home education in England. The system has a comprehensive system of checks and balances.

2. Inaccurately claimed (by this failure of complete disclosure) that local education officials are limited to informal methods of seeking remediation. They possess effective and powerful tools to protect children.

3. Inaccurately claimed that English homeschoolers were governed by the most liberal laws among peer nations.

4. Proposed a method of compulsory home interrogations of children that violates the Human Rights Act of 1998 and Article 8 of the ECHR. This method has been held to be an unconstitutional invasion of family privacy in the United States.

5. Proposed a method of home interrogations as a means of evaluation of the suitability of home education which fails the four standards for proper assessment: validity, reliability, impact, and practicability.

6. Urges that English homeschoolers be required to comply with Article 29 of the UNCRC, which imposes a regime of compelled indoctrination in controversial values.

zazizoma Thu 16-Jul-09 11:28:58

My favourite bit was the point that if your were going to apply the UNCRC code to HE children, then you also had to equally apply it to schooled children. Which would mean that all children would need to be interviewed about their education wishes! I'd love to see that happen . . .

2kidzandi Thu 16-Jul-09 22:11:47

I really like the parts which say: "The impact on the child must be considered. When a strange adult appears in the home with the announced purpose of interrogating the child separately and apart from his or her parents, a considerable degree of anxiety can be anticipated." And "....to a young child all he knows is that a stranger is in his home asking questions of him in private and his future depends on the stranger’s views of his answers."

Bearing in mind the stress which would be caused by a stranger effectively interrogating a child who wished to continue learning at home, how on earth can they say that these proposals are about the well being of the child? Thinking about a child who has been withdrawn from school because of bullying or some other emotional or physical trauma; now that child will have the further anxiety that if he fails to jump through the right hoops (behaviour not quite in order, work not done to satisfactory standard etc etc) he will may be forced back. I would say that was an awful lot of stress.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now